Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2005, 04:52 PM   #11
steve-s

Common bristleworms are actually a "type" of fireworm really. There are many many different species though. The "hairy caterpillar" ones mentioned by clowninround (Hermodice carunculata) are typically the most destructive. There are in fact many of the more intimidating looking species that are completely harmless. Same goes for the ones that don't look like much, they can be very destructive to soft corals.

The more common ones (Eurythoe complanata) really aren't a concern unless very very large and that is quite rare.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to amphibianboy528
yeah,iguess it is a fire bristle worm i saw in the faq.The faq i saw it in was in a catalog from drs.foster and smith.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to amphibianboy528
well it was like a catalog I got from the mail.I requested one from liveaquaria.com at catalog request.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Not saying they're good or bad, but here's a trap if you want one.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...;pcid1=;pcid2=

Coralife Trap-Em $5.99
Old 01-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't get it

If bristleworms are ok, why do live rock web sites brag about their removal of bristleworms (along with mantis shrimp) during the precuring process?

Why is there so much conflicting info out there?

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
If bristleworms are ok, why do live rock web sites brag about their removal of bristleworms (along with mantis shrimp) during the precuring process?
If one person has a bad experence with an animal, words spreads fast and before you know it, a reputation has started. Like SteveS stated, there are a few undesirable species, the key is IDing them.
I have a few monster (6" or so) Eurythoe complanata and they are no trouble at all. Sometimes a couple of them come out at feeding time with the rest and I enjoy watching them.
As for the mantis shrimp, they are pretty cool is a species tank, just not in a community tank. There are a lot of people who seek them.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:13 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I just saw what appears to be a bristle worm on my rock.

Looks almost identical to a millipeed. Its pretty much clear and looked like it had some black stuff in its stomach maybe.

But they will not hurt anything?

He must be a real trooper. I was real stupid and went out and bought the rock..came home and THEN started setting my tank up. Finally got the salt right after searching for my SG meter for an hour and thought I had the SG right. Dunked the rock in...only to remember I didn't dechlorinate the water. Then come to find out my salinity was way to low. Killed a couple damsels...now I have ammonia so my cycle is starting.

And now I see him. Tough little guy.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:14 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

This has been an informative thread -- my LFS has signs up on some of the tanks advertising that certain fish are "GOOD BRISTLEWORM EATERS!" I've been very confused because people here at AA have indicated that they're a good thing.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:43 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For what its worth..I wish I had taken a photo of the 'standard' bristle in my tank sucking out the goodness in one of my open brain corals. I think for most people however, it isn't so much the damage they can cause as it is the amount of worms. As previously mentioned they can breed quickly. They are opportunistic feeders and I *personally* don't want them in my tank. However, if you have LR you have bristle worms. I bought a 6 line wrasse for the sole purpose of 'controlling' the worm population in my tank and do not regret it. As for 'fire' bristle, never seen one but I would suppose its reputation would prod me into constructing some type of trap. Doubtful you can completely erradicate worms even if you wanted to, but you can control them and probably should to prevent you tank from being over run.

GL!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had 2 bristle worms in my tank. A 2" guy and one that was closer to 8". The 8"er was chewing on my frilly mushroom when he was ripped from the tank! The shroom was spewing so I know it wasn't just a friendly visit with the shroom. I was sad to have had to remove him because he was a really cool critter. My favorite pasttime was trying to get a good picture of him because he was sooooo cool. Oh well. I guess it all depends on your tank, inhabitants, etc.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com