Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yeah frozen seafood has phosphates. Makes for possible algae issues.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, here's my next question then...if you buy fresh, usually it's been frozen once already. Can I freeze it a second time? Especially if I want to make my own mixture of food and freeze it in ziplock bags?

Old 10-02-2008, 01:24 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

If you buy it fresh, there are or should not be any preservatives in it. When you freeze you should be good.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to rafecci
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I noticed on the package of uncooked raw shrimp (the frozen bag) that there was salt and phosphates. Will that be harmful to my tank?
are you refering to uncooked raw shrimp that you and I would buy and cook for ourselves? Lets talk on that! Can you feed that to your fish? raw? chopped? Minced? (money saving issues here...LOL)
Old 10-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Yep.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Check the back labels for ingredients and any preservatives used along with asking the seafood manager if their fresh fish is preservative free. Almost all food, fresh or not, comes with residual phosphates so just choose the lower end of a high quality feed
Old 10-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, that sounds like a plan. I'm going to go today.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great news guys. Went to the local grocery store, where they have piles of fresh ocean and saltwater fare.

I bought some cuttlefish, a baby octopus, a squid,6 freshwater sardines, some freshwater bay scallops, and 6 regular large shrimp. I put that in the food processor and it made 4 small freezer bags of the mixture. This is about 2 X the cost effectiveness of buying frozen shrimp.

So I put some in and wow...everyone in the tank went nuts for it. The brittle star managed to snag a couple pieces that I put towards him, and it was cool watching him eat.

I've been checking the levels of ammonia daily. Yesterday the ammonia was at the rating above zero (I forget, and i don't have my chart handy). Today it's back down to zero, but the nitrites went up one chart level. Cool to see the ecosystem working. All my other levels are where they should be.

So far in my tank I have 8 nassarius snails, 2 cerith snails, 1 brittle star, 1 clown fish, 1 peppermint shrimp, and 5 blue legged hermit crabs.

To buy still: 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, and another 2-4 fish. Maybe a 6 lined wrasse, coral beauty and a royal gramma. Anyone have any suggestions for a blue coloured fish that isn't a damsel?
Old 10-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Brittle star fish

Linckia Starfish are reef-safe and colorful, making them ideal additions to a reef or community saltwater environment.Their bodies are vibrantly colored and have smooth legs. These starfish thrive in pristine water conditions where they will graze on leftover foods. They can also be supplemented with meaty foods like shrimp, scallops and brine shrimp.
----------------------
merita

Guaranteed ROI

Tags
star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com