Brooksters 29 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard a term thrown around, PBITTWA I think?? Pour bleach in the tank and walk away... welp.. I've reached this point. I did a lot of things wrong with this tank. It had its peaks and now it is a absolute disaster. I've set up a fresh new 40b. Luckily I have 20 pounds of clean rock in my sump that shows no signs of the plague that has consumed my display tank. I'll take a picture after my diner has settled. The live stock is healthy. They will be the stars of my new fowlr. I have a cluster of mushrooms that I will access once removed, if I can shave off this black pearl madness I'll move them over as well. All other coral has been consumed, it sucks. I'm pretty angry at myself for letting it get this bad but this algae was prolific and I lost. At least the fish survived.

So many stories like this. Reef keeping seems to require devoted attention, and that can be a challenge in everyday life.
For real, I'm good enough at keeping fish swimming for a bit so I'll stick with that and let the pros handle the coral. Fish should like their new digs, going for the 29 to a 40b, lots more room for activities.

Hey brook sorry to hear you’re going through the serious uglies! Are you moving old rock over? Or just getting new? I had a serious Dino/ gha explosion that wiped out my old tank and I bleached all my old rocks and such for a few weeks and let them dry and washed them. My new tank using that same rock is 100% algae free other than what’s on the glass. I have acros and other corals growing very well. Sometimes it just takes a restart to get back on pace. Corals aren’t to bad!

Hey brook sorry to hear you’re going through the serious uglies! Are you moving old rock over? Or just getting new? I had a serious Dino/ gha explosion that wiped out my old tank and I bleached all my old rocks and such for a few weeks and let them dry and washed them. My new tank using that same rock is 100% algae free other than what’s on the glass. I have acros and other corals growing very well. Sometimes it just takes a restart to get back on pace. Corals aren’t to bad!
I took all the rock from the sump. It's a gamble but this bubble algae was not present whatsoever In sump. New setup is very simple. I moved one piece over with the mushrooms for the clowns, they hosted. I really want to keep my fish. They've been here for some time and I couldn't part with them so I did the best quick switch I could. Here's the new setup. I'm going to pressure wash the tainted rock and leave it in the sun for a spell, add it back later. I am currently bleaching heater and powerheads so it's extras running the tank for now. 20210531_151335.jpg

I’d bleach the rock too and rinse it a couple times and dry. That worked for me. Just make sure you can’t smell any bleach.

I'm gonna get some rock flower anemones and that's probably about it. Much easier. We'll see. Will be hoping for a peaceful transition.
They're pretty cool. I'm sure I'll make a trip to the coral garden at some point. Seeing as we're in a safe space... I'm running a finnex 247 planted plus on this. I'd like to play with the settings but neither clicker I have is working. Hopefully it's the battery. I know I could knock that blue and purple up a notch to get some nice hues.

Back
Top Bottom