Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Brown algae

My rocks were looking great until recently I noticed all my coralline was being covered by a thin layer of brown algae. my 46g fowlr has good water quality except nitrates are at 25ppm. I do a 15 percent water change every week. I treated my tank for red slime, which is usually easy to irradiate but I quickly found it was not going to be that easy. I am wondering if maybe a recent light upgrade created this problem . Any advice on getting rid of this algae would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Im currently and goin through the same thing. I just got my 75g set up alil over a month ago. I got it from a co worker and when we moved the tank we kept about 50g and replaced the other 25g. When i got the tank it came with a current orbit but it had no bulbs so i bought a 130w dual daylight and a 130w dual actinic. Maybe its just bad luck but when i started running the lights my " red slime" or "brown algae" took off. I started a thread about red n brown algae problem could you look at my pictures and see if my situation is like yours? Thanks

Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Our situation seems to be identical, now if only I knew how to get rid of it......
Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
How old are your tanks in their current set up? If you transferred a tank, and did by clean the substrate you could have caused a cycle to occur. Are you guys using a phosphate media? Are you only using RO/di water?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
As far as getting rid of it- try lights out, syphon the algae out with water changes, multiple water changes needed- like 20% 2x a week, reduce feeding amount (1x every other or every third day if possible) and run a phosphate media in your sump like chemipure.

Tags
algae, brown algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com