Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soccerdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
My rocks were looking great until recently I noticed all my coralline was being covered by a thin layer of brown algae. my 46g fowlr has good water quality except nitrates are at 25ppm. I do a 15 percent water change every week. I treated my tank for red slime, which is usually easy to irradiate but I quickly found it was not going to be that easy. I am wondering if maybe a recent light upgrade created this problem . Any advice on getting rid of this algae would be greatly appreciated.

Im currently and goin through the same thing. I just got my 75g set up alil over a month ago. I got it from a co worker and when we moved the tank we kept about 50g and replaced the other 25g. When i got the tank it came with a current orbit but it had no bulbs so i bought a 130w dual daylight and a 130w dual actinic. Maybe its just bad luck but when i started running the lights my " red slime" or "brown algae" took off. I started a thread about red n brown algae problem could you look at my pictures and see if my situation is like yours? Thanks

How old are your tanks in their current set up? If you transferred a tank, and did by clean the substrate you could have caused a cycle to occur. Are you guys using a phosphate media? Are you only using RO/di water?

As far as getting rid of it- try lights out, syphon the algae out with water changes, multiple water changes needed- like 20% 2x a week, reduce feeding amount (1x every other or every third day if possible) and run a phosphate media in your sump like chemipure.

Back
Top Bottom