Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakester79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my aquarium has been sitting with cured live rock and sand for about a week. It was a pretty purple color and is now growing brown algae. Is this bad? You can see it starting on the sand as well. I'm buying a skimmer here soon I know that helps

Attachments

• image-3053051835.jpg
    image-3053051835.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 89
Jakester79 said:
So my aquarium has been sitting with cured live rock and sand for about a week. It was a pretty purple color and is now growing brown algae. Is this bad? You can see it starting on the sand as well. I'm buying a skimmer here soon I know that helps

Can you get a pic? If the tank is new, which yours is, it's probably diatoms which is normal and will go away. You could also test for phosphates to be sure those are in check.

Need to get a phosphate test kit. Everything else for the water chemistry all tested great.

It's probably just diatoms like I stated before. I don't see any reason to be alarmed. It will probably get worse before getting better. Perfectly normal.

Back
Top Bottom