Brown Algae taking over live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 10 gallon tank has about 10lbs of live rock that has gotten covered in brown algae over the last several days. I did have purple and light brown and it is either disappearing or being completely covered. I have put several snails in to help, a emerald crab, and some hermits. If I scrub some of the live rock will I being scrubbing of what makes it "live". Also the light is basically only off at night. So I have turned that off as well during the day. Any thoughts, suggestions. I don't want to damage the bacteria on the live rock.

I agree, it's probably diatoms and trying to "cure" it would do more harm. IME, it's just one of many "phases" that a new tank goes through.

Ah ha, I'm glad I read this thread. Answers my brown/rust live rock problem. I didn't try to rub it off but I did touch it to see if it was slimy but it wasn't.

yeah its just diatoms it won't take long to go away maybe only a couple of days just one of many phases a new tank goes through

Back
Top Bottom