Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think its from phosphorus in your tap water... The turbo snails will still eat it so they will help. If they fall over they die so if you ever see one on its back flip it over haha. For now i would just be doing water changes constantly, and buy some turbos until your filter comes in.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea that's what I figured my only question is how much of a water change do I do with the ro water. Would 50% be ok then a day or 2 later do another 50% .

Old 05-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

And once you get the filter i would just do a 50% water change when you get it then regular water changes weekly after.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

If the algae is still growing fast 2 days after the 50% change do another if not problem solved
Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

K thanks. It doesn't arrive till Friday so we will see this weekend as for now I'm just keeping the lights off.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would do some larger than normal pwc's for the first while it will help. as with all new tanks you end up with the brown stuff, I've got it in my cube already too.

it's usually better to solve a problem rather than putting in a bandaid like CUC. I would recommend some crew though if you don't already have some.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

You should be testing your water to see what is causing the algae..Since the tank is only 2 months old it could be a diatom. I have that happening in my tank right now as my tank is about 5 weeks old.. My reading says that a diatom will go away as fast as it came you just have to give it a bit of time.. High nitrates and phosphates will cause algae problems.. Ive read that over the first year or so you are gonna get algae outbreaks now and then its all part of the tank maturing.. The R/O will definitely help.. How long do you run your lights every day? Shortening your lighting schedule will help too, I run my 10,000K for 8hrs a day and my actinic for 10Hrs a day..

Shane.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

As of right now I'm keeping my lights off I was keeping them on for 10-12hrs a day but as soon as I noticed the brown algea break out I turned all lights off I might have it on for 2-3hrs a day now I don't want it to get out of control. I'm pretty sure it's from my tap water. I don't have a tds meter so I'm not 100% and my tank is cycled I didn't use any base rock all live rock ( premium) with nice coraline algea on it. Fiji rock to be exact. My readings are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate .5.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:14 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The probable reason that your FW tank doesn't have algae and your SW does is due to the plants. The plants are taking up all the nutrients so algae isnt getting a chance to grow.

Tags
algea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com