Brown/black stuff taking over... please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdwhite03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 120 gallon tank with fish, live rock and sand, currently I have 12 fish, 2 shrimp, and an emerald crab along with about 110 lbs of live rock. For filtration I have a 55 gallon refugium. My old refugium broke a few weeks ago and I had to replace a few of the panels so it was out of commison for about a week as I repaired it.

A week later I now have this brownish/black stuff growing everywhere. It started on the water jet and has moved onto a rock, the glass and is quickly covering the sand. I have included a few pictures... any advice on what it is and what I should do would greatly help!!!!

I am fairly new to the saltwater world only haveing my setup for a few months now. I bought the entire setup, tank, rock, fish, and refugium already setup and running. I have been doing water changes and I have a protein skimmer running.

Hope you can tell what I have from these photos.

img_928708_0_8f35618b25d0511c6c7eebba93a15ea3.jpg

img_928708_1_a9cd30f675660d118b0737387aff2cbb.jpg

img_928708_2_352e7347beecc0dfa6e599d6edbe9b02.jpg

Cyano . It is a bacteria
Reduce lighting ,lighten your feedings , if using frozen try to rinse it before giving it . siphon off where you can and increase your H20 changes to a couple largish changes , 50% for a couple weeks , you should start to see it dying off due to the removal of excess nutrients ect :D

I agree with Sadie as far as siphoning it off. Get as much out the tank as possible.

thanks!!

Thank all of you for your help!

I will do a major water change this week and reduce the amount I feed (I am an admitted over feeder). I will also remove all of the growth from the tank as I can when I do the water change.

It was suggested that I reduce the lighting, do you mean the time the lights are on or the the amount of light?

Thanks again for the help!

Terry

Ok, thanks. I run my lights on average about 14 hours per day on a timer. Then at night I have moonlights that come on when the others go off.

Any suggestions about how long I should have the lights on?

Yeah i normally run mine for 7 hours or less... By the way are you using RO/DI water? for your water changes?

I think it may be better to reduce the light to around 5 hours per day, when the cyano is gone then increase back to 8 hours as your regular lighting schedule.

one last thought tho how old are your bulbs that is also a contributer to it .. so it may be time to change
as to adjusting the lights take them down to 6 hours and see if that helps (about 2 weeks to see IME ) if it does once it is gone you can add an hour every couple weeks up to 10 hours per day anything over is over exposure and will help your algeas bloom . If you start to see it return bump the lights back and do another largish change of water . You can also run chemi pure as well it is a "super charged" media this should be replace every 2-3 months tho :D

Back
Top Bottom