Brown crud in the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robocop

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have this brown crud floting on top of the water in one of my tanks. Even when I do water changes it's still there. It just floats there and when I stick something in the tank and pull it out it's completly covered with it. Any idea of what this is and how to get ride of it? Oh...and what's causing it? It's not that visable but I can tell it's something....especially on a test tube.

Do you have a skimmer? Any other tank info would be helpful, size, livestock, water parameters, lighting, filtration...

30gal, 50/50 lighting, 40pds LR, 10pds LS, have a skimmer, fluval 204 filter, live stock: 1 Red Leg Crab, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 blood red shrimp. Water parameters are normal. No fish because my Flame Angel is in OT.

The two things that come to mind are DOC in the water (which your skimmer should take care of) or an algea outbreak. The latter is ussually caused by excess nutrients in the water. Test Nitrates and Phosphates to make sure they are within normal limits. How often do you feed?

Not very offten at all because it's only the inverts in there....maybe 3 times a week at the most. I have a skimmer...not sure the brand but it filters up to 100gal. I'll check the phosphates though I just used the phosphate spong this summer.

A fluval 204 on a 30 gal tank is not much in the way of flow. Unless the return from your canister filter is aimed along the surface of the water your most likely seeing a build up of organics. The skimmer cannot remove it from the water as long as it's on the surface. It needs to be constantly broken up and mixed into the water column.

I would definately suggest some additional water flow, Maxi jet 900 perhaps. Be sure at least one pump is constantly rippling the water surface to break up the tension and allow the skimmer to remove the nutrient.

What you are describing as far as brown stuff sounds much like leftover flake food residue?

Cheers
Steve

I have a powerhead..just forgot to add it to the list...it's not aimed at the surface though. I think I may be able to aim the powerhead or the fluval spout to the surface

Please do list the skimmer make/model. It sounds an aweful lot like a Prizm, or a SeaClone. If its a seaclone, you can modify it to make it more efficient. If it's a Prizm...you have my condolences. I think my prizm caused more problems than it did good...and thus it's in a skimmer graveyard with all the other prizms.

If it's one of the smaller prizm models I would definately agree. For the most part they do not do much in the way of removing DOC adequately. Until you can upgrade the skimmer I would step up the water changes a bit and be sure the surface water is well aggitated to keep the scum from building up.

For a 30 gal tank either a CPR BakBak or Aqua C skimmer would do well.

Cheers
Steve

For the most part your rock and substrate will handle filtration depending on eventual bioload. The fluval will not be needed as a main filtration source and mechanical filtration in SW is not really desirable. It can still be utilized for water flow and if using carbon or resin products.

The BakPak is not a cyclone skimmer and will not perform the same in terms of filtration. The skimmer is moreso a means of chemical filtration and export whereas the canister is mechanical and simpley traps particles, it does not remove them.

Cheers
Steve

Will the BakPak help with toxins as does the carbon in the Fluval? Would it even be nessesary to have carbon? I hope to have at the most my Flame Angel and a LemonPeel Angle. I've not had much success with Angels especially coral beautys and Ebiles. This flame seems to be a trooper dispit the elments he is going through. Not sure of how durable the lemonpeel angel is.

robocop said:
Will the BakPak help with toxins as does the carbon in the Fluval?
In that regard the carbon would work faster but both will remove toxins/pollutants. Carbon however will not remove organics.

Would it even be nessesary to have carbon? I hope to have at the most my Flame Angel and a LemonPeel Angle. I've not had much success with Angels especially coral beautys and Ebiles. This flame seems to be a trooper dispit the elments he is going through. Not sure of how durable the lemonpeel angel is.
It would not be imperitive but if you ever have corals I would recommend carbon use at least weekly. With just FO or FOWLR it would still be beneficial once in a while but not really necessary. As far as your luck with angels, I would not suggest two in a 40 gal tank. One would be fine but a 75 gal w/LR would be required for two.

There really isn't enough room for two dwarfs to comfortabley establish territories in a 40 gal.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom