Brown patches starting to form on sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rushopkins

Aquarium Advice Regular
A few brown patches are starting to form on the sand. The middle of the tank is clear but on the two ends of the live rock the patches are starting. I have attached a few pics to show the brown and the direction the powerhead is pointed.

Attachments

• image-47986447.jpg
    image-47986447.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 83
  • image-825650741.jpg
    image-825650741.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3263415591.jpg
    image-3263415591.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 92
  • image-2852494521.jpg
    image-2852494521.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 111
How long has the tank been set up? This is normal in newer systems in fact mine is a new system and I have a similar thing going on.

What are you ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

Yea looks like diatoms... Usually indicative of the end of the cycle.

How long has the tank been set up? This is normal in newer systems in fact mine is a new system and I have a similar thing going on. What are you ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?
Tank has been running for two weeks. All levels still read 0.

Yea looks like diatoms... Usually indicative of the end of the cycle.
Only two clowns for two weeks. Would that cycle the tank that quick? I don't know how much the live rock and live sand helps with the cycle process.

If you used fully cured live rock you might get away with not having a cycle at all.
The rock was fully cured in a tank for three months before adding to this tank. It has a good bit of growth on it. I don't know exactly how much it is but I'm guessing it's about 40 lbs worth.

Back
Top Bottom