Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Brown sand

I can't seem to get rid of this algae growing on my sand bed. Appeared when I got rid of my goby. Water parameters are normal and nitrates stay around 10. I only feed fish once a day and skip a day during the week. If I leave the light off for a day or two it starts to clear up. I've had this tank running for two years and now this. I'm debating on taking out all the rock and removing the sand. I've tried running numerous rounds of different types of phosphate silicate removers with no results. See pic lClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455983989.693501.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	284952Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455984068.915059.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	284953

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

rushopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
bigger water changes and more water flow will help .
another thing is to bring those nitrates down which the water changes will do

Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have this problem on my month old tank.
most likely brown diatoms which should go on its own as it is common on newly cycled tanks.
as your tank is older is there anything different you may have done recently that could of caused it such as using tap or distilled water to mix your saltwater instead of ro?
Do you think your tank has been through a mini cycle for some reason?
If my brown diatoms are slow to clear I will have to introduce a couple of snails as the only cuc I have atm are a pair of skunk cleaner shrimp.
evan47 is offline   Reply With Quote

brown, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com