Brown substance covering LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

When I came home tonight a couple little pieces of LR that I bought last week that were covered in purple coraline are covered in brown? Is this some sort of algae? My tank has been cycling for about 2 1/2 weeks.

Will the purple come back ? :(

Thanks

If you can brush it off and it swirls away like dust in the water, it's probably diatoms. They'll die off given a little time. It's common in tanks that are newly set up.

Should I reduce my light time? I have it set for 5 hours a day during the cycle, however I turn it on when I am home because I don't have corals or anything?

I sure hope it goes away because it is uuugly

If it is diatoms, they are feeding on phosphates. I forgot to ask...are you using RO/DI water or at least distilled water? If so, the problem should clear up in a few days. That light schedule is short and OK for now.

I agree with No_Floaters, sounds like you are good to go! I would run my lights 8-10 hours once you have some livestock in there. I only run mine for 8hours, lots of folks run 10. I really wouldn't run longer than that.

Back
Top Bottom