Bubble Tip Anemone question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krely

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been setup for a year now. 2 weeks ago my wife and I bought 2 BTAs for the tank. They both seem to be fine, but one of them closes up during the day for a couple hours then opens back up. Sometimes it looks like a film is coming out of it while it is closed up. After that it opens back up and looks normal.

Is that normal?

Its normal as long as it doesn't have a gapping mouth.

Remember it has only one opening, so foods and poops all in and out from the same hole.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

yes, that is perfectly normal for an anemone of any/all types.
As Toffee said, it is simply having a poo.
even though some anemones can survive on light/algae, all are carnivores and can eat the same meaty foods you feed the fish. Every week I target feed my condy's and next day they are doing the exact same thing you describe.
It's kinda nasty looking, but nothing to be concerned about.

all anemones go through cycles of deflating and inflating, some many times a day.
if the mouth stays open and they look deflated for a prolonged time or can't attach to something, then you may have issues.

in the event things go south, always siphon out a dead/dying anemone, never try to remove it any other way, it can get very messy and smells like death x 1000.

It could be if it ate something too large for it to digest and it is being stressed out.

:confused:
I very, very seriously doubt that is the answer.
I've seen anemones eat feeder goldfish before with no problems going in or coming out.

as a matter of fact just last week I had a couple of rummy nose tetras that didn't make it and I fed them to the anemones, no issues whatsoever.

remember, they eat fish in the wild, or anything that happens to get caught and is relatively soft bodied.

Back
Top Bottom