Buckets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I can store my rodi water, I have a 50g bag of salt so I can use that.

What size tank are you running and how much do you change every how often?

As long as you've got lids on the buckets, you can store RODI nearly indefinitely..... it's pure water.

I've got a 28g nano-cube reef.... I do two four gallon water changes a week, but that's because I have fish in there with my corals, so I do mine a little more often than most to keep nutrients down. If your going to keep just a few fish without coral, you'll probably be OK with a weekly 5 gallon change.

Yes I'm doing a fowlr tank. What livestock have you got in the 28g?

An Ocellaris clown and a Six-line wrasse, plus CUC (clean-up crew).... snails & hermits.

Here's an older pic, haven't uploaded any recently, and the lights are off. Tank's about 9 months old now... this was taken about 6-8 weeks ago, I think.....

Attachments

• photo60.JPG
    photo60.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Phranque

How much live rock have you got in there?

Man am I behind times I use the same three 5g buckets to drain and fill all 3 soon to be 4 of my tanks. LoL.

Probably OK, but I'm really anal about things like that..... I keep six buckets that only get RODI water in them, a few buckets that are only used for saltwater, a few that are only used for freshwater, and a seperate stack in the corner that are only used with the QT tank when it's running, to avoid any cross-contamination should there happen to be ich or anything else in there. IMO, especially when it comes to a reef, nothing that touches the QT tank should come in contact with the DT... nets, siphon hoses, buckets, heaters, filtration.... nothing.

Just a tip. I use "Home Depot" buckets because I think their lids are easier to pull off once you put them on to store the water.

I have a 55 gallon tank, and I don't warm my water up. I know I should have it to tank level, but I only do 5 gallon weekly water changes, and the temp does not drop but one degree when I change mine. Of course my water is room temp, so it's not freezing cold. :p

Just a tip. I use "Home Depot" buckets because I think their lids are easier to pull off once you put them on to store the water.

I have a 55 gallon tank, and I don't warm my water up. I know I should have it to tank level, but I only do 5 gallon weekly water changes, and the temp does not drop but one degree when I change mine. Of course my water is room temp, so it's not freezing cold. :p

And the ace hardware lids have a gasket in them that's what I use all my tanks are close enough to a window or a drain, I have 2 main buckets for filling and 1 bucket for rinsing out filter media.

I use and have used two old 10l mayonnaise buckets for gosh probably 8 years now. Got them at work for free and they haven't done me wrong so far. :)

Mantelli

So you recommend the ace hardware buckets?

Home Depot has the same lid, so it comes down to whatever is cheaper.

Sure does lowes just had cheap lids. They cojldnt even hold the weight of a stack of 3 buckets without cracking. LoL

I got the food grade buckets and the lids you see that are very tight and got like a special tool to get them off aswell.

Minkin

Home Depot buckets hold water very well. I had my Home Depot buckets filled to the top in my car's trunk and back seat (All 10 buckets worth of water), and not a single drop of water was in my car, even after driving for 40 miles home.

Sounds good baron. Shame they don't do bigger ones like 10g or 15g it would make it much easier.

I'm half tempted to get a food grade 55g water drum and drop a submersible in it to fill my tanks with, or run a line from my well into my livingroom with a short hose on the end. LoL. I'm getting tired of hauling bickets. Haha

Back
Top Bottom