Building a BIG stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkobu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all

I am new to this forum and look forward to gaining new knowledge here as I have been out of the hobby for about two years now.
I am getting antsy to set up a tank I got from my old boss a few years ago... A Big tank like Ive always wanted.. 96X24 1/2 X 24!!
It even came with dual wet dry, protein skimmer (Need Bigger though), coral (crushed and decorative) and I picked up a chiller too for free.

Now I need to build a stand... does anyone have plans or know of necesary sizes in the wood used? ie. are 4X4's strong enough for support legs etc.???

I was thinking of going with eight 3' 4x4's with 2x4's around them on top and bottom ( I want to bolt everything together in case of need to move (if possible?)). I then figured on putting a 1/2" sheet of plywood on the top. I will then figure out a casing for it later....

Any plans or pics links etc would be appreciated...

Thanks
Mike

Cool!!
Thanks for the link.

And thank you for the welcomes.

I had been in the hobby for years but I decided to sell my 55g reef with my house when I moved from CA to FL. Luckily the owner of the restaurant I ran gave me my new set-up before I left because I had disconnected it all for removal of a closed store saving him the $600 his service guy wanted to rip him off for tear down and small move. And the chiller came from the guy who serviced the tanks in my restaurant gave me a chiller he removed from a client because it leaked (ended up being a easy fix)

I wish I could do a reef but a tank of this size would be costly....Unless shhhhh... I hit the Keys for some base rock...(Absolutely no destruction of reef jus gathering of loose rocks)

I will do a fish only or maybe fish an live rock with a anenome or 2... Have even contemplated doing a small shark since I finally have a tank with some length for it to swim for a year or 2 (maybe more?) then can probably find a bigger home for it here in Orlando somewhere (SeaWorld?)

Anyways gotta run an check out those plans.....

Mike

Back
Top Bottom