Building a Cleaner Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chromediggity

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone have any advice on building a cleaner crew? The websites have lots of suggestions but 1 crab per gallon seems excessive. Please share your opinion on snails, nudibranches, crabs, brittle stars, etc....

Usually its best to pick the cuc package rated for 1/4-1/2 the size of your tank. It'll also matter what kind of tank your planing on having with what inhabitants to best choose a cuc.

Right now it's a FOWLR so I just need something to handle some bubble algae, hair algae and extra food. I am sure I will get the itch and add corals at some point so I wouldn't want to add something that is going to eventually cause problems.

Emerald crabs would be good for bubble algae. 1 per 25 gallons roughly. Nassarrius snails are a must for stirring sand bed imo. Id stick to 1 per 2-3 gallons. Hermits are good scavengers but id go with 1 per 5 gallons. Scarletts will be less aggressive then the blues and the whites are pretty docile and stir he sand bed very well. Most of the cuc is really just up to what you like though because any nuissances should be handled by the hobbyist meaning more frequent cleanings, more flow, etc.

to be honest you shouldn't neccisarily need a clean up crew. as long as you don't over feed and do regular water changes maybe get a fish that will pick at the rocks etc you should be fine anyway so its pretty much up to you what you put in but just remember that all the cuc you add increases your bio load too. however i personally love emerald crabs and think they're great to watch and they are deffinitley greedy buggers

I am with you Woody on the emerald crabs. I have a fairly high bio load jut counting the fish so I may stick with emerald crabs, a few snails and weekly cleaning/water changes.

Water changes IMO are your best bet. I feel the whole CUC thing is a marketing ploy. You don't really need a CUC as already said.

Now with that said... They are nice to look at and fun to watch. I wouldn't rely on a CUC to keep a tank clean and algae free. Good maintenance schedule, water changes, cleaning the glass, testing parameters, not over feeding, the right light schedule etc... etc... That's the "real" CUC

To answer your question about the NB, I had one and it didn't last all but 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom