Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok I'll do some checking around. Anyone interested in a pro clear premier 300 Wet/dry sump lol Now i have to find a place to sell this system.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also im going to be running my original Mag24 return pump (but i still have my old mag12 if i need a lower flow in the fuge) so what is a good heavy grain live sand you would recommend for a refugium that i wont have to worry about it blowing around?

Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I wouldn't have the refugium that turbulent. I wouldn't use live sand either. Just get dry sand and rinse it and put it in there. If you put some rock rubble in there, whatever is in that will populate the sand in a short time. Put whatever sand you are using in the display in there.

I think the mag 24 may be a bit much for a 40 breeder sump.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I think it will be way to big my sump/ fuge is a DIY 55g and my DT is a 75g I put the sump in the basement and have about 9' of head and a few 45s with a 1" drain coming out of a hob crp 90 overflow from everything I read I figured I needed about a mag 24 turned out it was way to big I even had a valve that was more than half shut and there was still to much water someone on here suggested a mag 9.5 so I found one on Craigslist for 20 bucks and it is now a perfect match for my overflow
Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I wouldn't have the refugium that turbulent. I wouldn't use live sand either. Just get dry sand and rinse it and put it in there. If you put some rock rubble in there, whatever is in that will populate the sand in a short time. Put whatever sand you are using in the display in there.

I think the mag 24 may be a bit much for a 40 breeder sump.
So I'll drop it to the Mag12. and run PVC to increase my water flow. These barbed fittings dropped my GPH pretty bad when i went to flexible tubing. Plus the reason i jumped to the 24 was I have two Overflows rated at 1800 GPH each and with the 12 it was gurggling no matter what i did with my standpipes. I'll just keep fiddling with them or modify my drains to a 1" drain instead of 1.5" and that may slow the drain down enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spechty37 View Post
Yeah I think it will be way to big my sump/ fuge is a DIY 55g and my DT is a 75g I put the sump in the basement and have about 9' of head and a few 45s with a 1" drain coming out of a hob crp 90 overflow from everything I read I figured I needed about a mag 24 turned out it was way to big I even had a valve that was more than half shut and there was still to much water someone on here suggested a mag 9.5 so I found one on Craigslist for 20 bucks and it is now a perfect match for my overflow
My 24 pushes a lot of water for sure and i really would rather drop back to the mag 12 anyway since i liked it better. My overflows will just have to be tweaked a little i guess.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting. I would have thought it would be louder with the stronger pump, not the other way around.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Interesting. I would have thought it would be louder with the stronger pump, not the other way around.
It looked to me like they were getting air in making a slurping sound. After the mag24 was put in they stayed nearly silent. I assumed it was because the extra water kept the pipes filled up
Old 09-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

you can also use some airline tubing to quiet the stand pipes. Slide a piece down each pipe and find the sweet spot, then tie/tape it off.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
you can also use some airline tubing to quiet the stand pipes. Slide a piece down each pipe and find the sweet spot, then tie/tape it off.
Will that work for a durso stand pipe?
Old 09-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sure. Some have an air tube installed already....like this image-

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com