Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok here is my dilemma. I have a 210 with a 40gal wet/dry sump that I've had for years, but its so much hassle pulling the filter pads out and trying not to make a mess and in the three years I've used it I have never found a simple way to do it. Also I want a little more sump volume. I bought a 55 from petco on the $1 sale (I know I need a bigger sump but to squeeze anything more in there id have to drain the tank and slide it away from the wall to put in through the back of my stand) I have an ETSS skimmer but it is external and returns through the side of my sump (picture attached) would it be a good idea to drill the 55 on the side or is there another way to get the water back in without dealing with all the hassle? Also what size filter sock(s) would you run? I planned on setting it up with the filter socks and return first, fuge, then the return pump area last but it has to be big enough for my mag 18, mag 12 and my mag 7 to fit in for the pump side unless I run the water deep enough to stack the pumps on top of each other. Also on that note how deep should I run it since ill be doing a fuge?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4107219073.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	197604   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1683822104.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	197605  

Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't run the sump too deep. In the event of a power outage, all the DT overflow as well as any return backflow/syphon must be able to fit into the sump as extra water. My 40 gal sump runs about 1/2 full (controlled by the return section baffle).

Old 09-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Don't run the sump too deep. In the event of a power outage, all the DT overflow as well as any return backflow/syphon must be able to fit into the sump as extra water. My 40 gal sump runs about 1/2 full (controlled by the return section baffle).
My tank only back siphons 10 gallons the way i have everything set up, so i was going to run the sump at 30 gallons. that would put me at 14-16ish inches deep in water so it should be deep enough for the refugium. Im going to divide the inside with plexiglass or acrylic into 3 chambers since my skimmer is external so i'll just drill the side of the tank for the skimmer. But my question still is what size filter socks would be recommended. I'll need two unless I put both drains through one sock.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally don't use filter socks. More a pain in the butT than they're worth. But mine are kinda hard to remove (I have to reach inside the filter sock and remove the spout that extends the drain to below the waterline).

Also, glass tank, glass dividers, acrylic tank, acrylic dividers. Glue doesn't stick to glass too well and silicon doesnt stick to acrylic too well either.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
I personally don't use filter socks. More a pain in the butT than they're worth. But mine are kinda hard to remove (I have to reach inside the filter sock and remove the spout that extends the drain to below the waterline).

Also, glass tank, glass dividers, acrylic tank, acrylic dividers. Glue doesn't stick to glass too well and silicon doesnt stick to acrylic too well either.
thats odd. Ive siliconed a lot of acrylic and there wont be a lot of pressure on it. I just assumed that if my measurements were off by a slight amount id be able to shave the acrylic down. but ill just take the tank to a glass cutter and have them measure it lol.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I gave up on filter socks. I use one when cleaning the tank and that's all. It may not make any difference, but I want some free floating matter in the system.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Silicon will stick to acrylic, but it can start to fail after a few years. It will last almost forever on glass.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The silicone on my diy 55g refugium is holding up good. I dont like glass baffles because they dont have any bend or give to them. Id just run one huge sock and run both drains into it. I personally dont know why so many hobbyists hate filter socks. They are a great form of mechanical filtration and dont require any power to do so.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I couldn't live without using filter socks. i have them on every tank I have that i am able to. I change them out and wash the whole batch maybe once a month. I have dozens of those things, lol, they are about 5$ a piece at BRS so I have more than i'll ever need.

Run a sock for a week and you'd be amazed at what it catches and isn't in your tank.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I agree with Carey. I love how my system has progressed since the addition of filter socks. I would suggest a 7" sock. I like to turn them inside out and save anything that's made it's way into it. I pull off about 20 amphipods, a few brittle starfish, and an occasional bristleworm each time I change a sock out (about every 5 days they clog up completely with detritus).

I also would suggest taking the 55 to a glass shop and having them make glass partitions for it. I don't want my partitions to give. As for drilling the 55, that's so easy you'll chuckle at the thought of your hesitation afterwards.

Do you think you need 3 return pumps?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com