Building sump for 210

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkey3425

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok here is my dilemma. I have a 210 with a 40gal wet/dry sump that I've had for years, but its so much hassle pulling the filter pads out and trying not to make a mess and in the three years I've used it I have never found a simple way to do it. Also I want a little more sump volume. I bought a 55 from petco on the $1 sale (I know I need a bigger sump but to squeeze anything more in there id have to drain the tank and slide it away from the wall to put in through the back of my stand) I have an ETSS skimmer but it is external and returns through the side of my sump (picture attached) would it be a good idea to drill the 55 on the side or is there another way to get the water back in without dealing with all the hassle? Also what size filter sock(s) would you run? I planned on setting it up with the filter socks and return first, fuge, then the return pump area last but it has to be big enough for my mag 18, mag 12 and my mag 7 to fit in for the pump side unless I run the water deep enough to stack the pumps on top of each other. Also on that note how deep should I run it since ill be doing a fuge?

Attachments

• image-4107219073.jpg
    image-4107219073.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1683822104.jpg
    image-1683822104.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 101
Don't run the sump too deep. In the event of a power outage, all the DT overflow as well as any return backflow/syphon must be able to fit into the sump as extra water. My 40 gal sump runs about 1/2 full (controlled by the return section baffle).

Don't run the sump too deep. In the event of a power outage, all the DT overflow as well as any return backflow/syphon must be able to fit into the sump as extra water. My 40 gal sump runs about 1/2 full (controlled by the return section baffle).

My tank only back siphons 10 gallons the way i have everything set up, so i was going to run the sump at 30 gallons. that would put me at 14-16ish inches deep in water so it should be deep enough for the refugium. Im going to divide the inside with plexiglass or acrylic into 3 chambers since my skimmer is external so i'll just drill the side of the tank for the skimmer. But my question still is what size filter socks would be recommended. I'll need two unless I put both drains through one sock.

I personally don't use filter socks. More a pain in the butT than they're worth. But mine are kinda hard to remove (I have to reach inside the filter sock and remove the spout that extends the drain to below the waterline).

Also, glass tank, glass dividers, acrylic tank, acrylic dividers. Glue doesn't stick to glass too well and silicon doesnt stick to acrylic too well either.

I personally don't use filter socks. More a pain in the butT than they're worth. But mine are kinda hard to remove (I have to reach inside the filter sock and remove the spout that extends the drain to below the waterline).

Also, glass tank, glass dividers, acrylic tank, acrylic dividers. Glue doesn't stick to glass too well and silicon doesnt stick to acrylic too well either.

thats odd. Ive siliconed a lot of acrylic and there wont be a lot of pressure on it. I just assumed that if my measurements were off by a slight amount id be able to shave the acrylic down. but ill just take the tank to a glass cutter and have them measure it lol.

I gave up on filter socks. I use one when cleaning the tank and that's all. It may not make any difference, but I want some free floating matter in the system.

Silicon will stick to acrylic, but it can start to fail after a few years. It will last almost forever on glass.

The silicone on my diy 55g refugium is holding up good. I dont like glass baffles because they dont have any bend or give to them. Id just run one huge sock and run both drains into it. I personally dont know why so many hobbyists hate filter socks. They are a great form of mechanical filtration and dont require any power to do so.

I couldn't live without using filter socks. i have them on every tank I have that i am able to. I change them out and wash the whole batch maybe once a month. I have dozens of those things, lol, they are about 5$ a piece at BRS so I have more than i'll ever need.

Run a sock for a week and you'd be amazed at what it catches and isn't in your tank. :)

I agree with Carey. I love how my system has progressed since the addition of filter socks. I would suggest a 7" sock. I like to turn them inside out and save anything that's made it's way into it. I pull off about 20 amphipods, a few brittle starfish, and an occasional bristleworm each time I change a sock out (about every 5 days they clog up completely with detritus).

I also would suggest taking the 55 to a glass shop and having them make glass partitions for it. I don't want my partitions to give. As for drilling the 55, that's so easy you'll chuckle at the thought of your hesitation afterwards.

Do you think you need 3 return pumps?

For 18 years I ran without filter socks, then a couple of years ago I added three of the large ones. They clogged about once a week and needed to be cleaned. I ran them a year. No visible changes. I removed them 6 months ago, still no visible change. I have a algae scrubber that tends to trap particulates, so I just don't need the extra hassle.

So, you think all that stuff that clogged the filter socks is now being caught by the algae scrubber? Mine was building up in my sump.

It's caught both places. Many pounds of chaeto does a pretty good job of catching debris and I siphon the detritus off the bottom of my sumps every few months. I see lots of particulates on the real reef and I have a theory there are free floating things that are good for the corals.

Yes, they may be, but in an ocean setting, things are a bit different. Excess nutrients is the number one problem seen in this hobby. I feel if the particulate matter is important, there's plenty in the display already. No need to recirculate what the filtration is catching.
Even you said that you see no difference since you stopped using the socks. Just that you have to vacuum your sumps now. The corals are no better or worse, right?

That's true. But the socks are a mess to clean. I already do an average of an hour a day in maintenance and care, so eliminating one thing is a start. My water is just as clear without them.

I just turn mine inside out, save any life I can on them which takes a total of about 60 seconds, and then toss them in a bucket. When the bucket is full, I toss them all in the washing machine with a little bleach and let it do it's thing.

I just turn mine inside out, save any life I can on them which takes a total of about 60 seconds, and then toss them in a bucket. When the bucket is full, I toss them all in the washing machine with a little bleach and let it do it's thing.

Too much work. And I didn't see any benefit.

Does anyone know if the petco tanks are all tempered glass or just the bottom glass? My skimmer returns into the side of my sump and I'm building a refugium out of a 40 breeder and want to keep my external so I can have maximum room for the fuge.

I hate to jump in here but I have been reading along and I have a question about the filter sock I have 1" PVC running right into my sump do they make a sock the I could just hook to my PVC with out buy a sock holder

I hate to jump in here but I have been reading along and I have a question about the filter sock I have 1" PVC running right into my sump do they make a sock the I could just hook to my PVC with out buy a sock holder

Not that I've ever seen. My local glass shop is cutting and edging all size panes of 1/4" glass and a pane with two holes for 7" filter socks for $42

Back
Top Bottom