Bully Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmonicarl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I purchased 4 clowns from a breeder in Miami that has a huge and sofisticated setup for breeding clownfish. They have breeding clowns for about 40 years. The ones we got were 2 small and 2 larger ones so that they become couples. Whats happening is that one of the larger ones is bullying both small ones. I seperated them like the breeder suggested for a few days in the same tank but when i turned them loose again the bullying stared again and the other large one gets in on the act sometimes too. Has anyone had this happen and what shoul I do? Thanks for the help.

Clownfish do best in pairs. I would advise setting up a different tank for one of the pairs.

Yup, best to buy in pairs. How big is the tank? It is not recommended to keep more than a pair of clowns in a single tank - unless the tank is massive...

Clownfishes in the wild tend to live in groups but the biggest of the 2 will become the only mating pair and if the female dies the one it mated with will become the new female and so on but maybe the 2 biggest in your case sees the other too as potentially threats to the mating/ pairing process so they are trying to see who is dominant and maybe there is too little space in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom