Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bully Clown

So I purchased 4 clowns from a breeder in Miami that has a huge and sofisticated setup for breeding clownfish. They have breeding clowns for about 40 years. The ones we got were 2 small and 2 larger ones so that they become couples. Whats happening is that one of the larger ones is bullying both small ones. I seperated them like the breeder suggested for a few days in the same tank but when i turned them loose again the bullying stared again and the other large one gets in on the act sometimes too. Has anyone had this happen and what shoul I do? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clownfish do best in pairs. I would advise setting up a different tank for one of the pairs.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, best to buy in pairs. How big is the tank? It is not recommended to keep more than a pair of clowns in a single tank - unless the tank is massive...
Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clownfishes in the wild tend to live in groups but the biggest of the 2 will become the only mating pair and if the female dies the one it mated with will become the new female and so on but maybe the 2 biggest in your case sees the other too as potentially threats to the mating/ pairing process so they are trying to see who is dominant and maybe there is too little space in your tank.

Tags
bully, clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com