Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2005, 09:31 PM   #21
Smo
Aquarium Advice Regular

Read their FAQ for more info: http://www.oceanpods.com/faq.html

I would like to get a bottle and culture them. Sounds funner than SeaMonkeys!

29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 143watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, Hammer, XLG Open Brain, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Blue Mandarin | Atrosalarias Fuscus | Pair Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns | Peppermint Shrimp | 6 Astrea's |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:30 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I would like to get a bottle and culture them. Sounds funner than SeaMonkeys!
"Funner" sounds, well, fishy to me .... but I teach math, not English, and I agree that culturing sounds good. But I have to say that the tank is already enough work!!

I'm going to dump them in my sump, where they are safe, and transfer them a poco a poco to my tank.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:09 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I'm going to dump them in my sump, where they are safe, and transfer them a poco a poco to my tank.
Are pods safe in a sump? 8O The water in my sump goes by quickly through the LR rubble area, to skimmer, through bubble trap, to mag 9.5. Won't the little guys get sucked into a skimmer, or worse... shot back into the tank via the return pump? 8O

Now I'm thinking a fuge might be in my future...
Old 03-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLG2182
Quote:
Are pods safe in a sump? 8O The water in my sump goes by quickly through the LR rubble area, to skimmer, through bubble trap, to mag 9.5. Won't the little guys get sucked into a skimmer, or worse... shot back into the tank via the return pump? 8O

Now I'm thinking a fuge might be in my future...
Thats the point. You want the pods to be pumped into the main tank. The pods are the main source of food for the mandarin goby. I am currently setting up the same set-up for my fish. I am building a fuge tonight and getting it set up....
Old 03-25-2005, 11:58 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just purchased 2 of those bottles earlier this week and added them to my sump. My system is ~6months old, about 200Gal with about 200lbs of LR. I added them merely to suppliment my current population of pods and add some diversity. Theres no need to transfer them as they will naturally find there way to the return pump and up into the display.

I've had a pair of scooter blennies for about 1.5 motnhs and they've definately put on weight in that time.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:26 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

what do u guys think of these prices for pods?

http://aquaculturestore.com/swinverts.html
1 convict
1 pleco

72 gal bowfront
seaclone 150
4 x 65 watt coralife pc
hagen aquaclear 901 in tank
via aqua 3500 with scwd return from wet/dry
160 lbs live rock
40lbs combination sugarsized sand and crushed coral
1 feather dusters
2 emerald crabs
75 hermits scarlet and blue leg
20 turbo snails
3 large brittle stars
2 toadstools
1 colt coral
3 different zoanthid colonies
1 green finger leather, and cabbage leather
1 green starburst
4 different mushrooms
1 large anemone
2 cleaner shrimp
1 6 line wrasse
2 pajama cardinal
1 rock skipping blenny (very cool if you like sadists)
2 percula clown
1 engineer goby
1 scooter blenny

NOT ALL CRABS ARE BAD
rockkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

or this which i found on ipsf.com

Reef Amphipod Breeding Kit. Amphipods - small, shrimplike crustaceans of the genus Grammarus - are among the best invertebrate diversity builders you can add to a reef tank, sump or refugium. Our Hawaiian Reef Amphipods mate and reproduce readily in captivity. They consume enormous quantities of diatoms, hair algae and other nuisance algae. They are also a healthy live diet for all types of clownfishes, angelfishes and Mandarin gobies.We ship our captive-bred Reef Amphipodstm nationwide daily, and we've learned that their preferred breeding habitat is a lush green mat of Ulva macroalgae - the 'Pod Mat. You can create your own amphipod farm by floating one of these amphipod mats under low light in a well-aerated sump, refugium or dedicated 10-gallon breeding tank. Seed it with amphipod breeder specimens which we provide. A twice-weekly addition of our enriched 'Pod Flakes (just a pinch!) provides ample nutrient input and trace elements. Our Reef Amphipod Breeding Kit gets you started with all the right components: adult and sub-adult reef amphipods (at least 25 specimens), a thriving 3" x 3" mat of Ulva macroalgae and enough enriched 'Pod Flakes to last for several months. Grow your own! Amphipod Breeding Kit, $29.95 with any livestock order; free shipping if ordered as part of a Mix 'n Match. ($39.95 plus shipping if ordered alone). Order

[Key To Tropical Reef Amphipods] [More on amphipod biology] [Biology of Copepods]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 convict
1 pleco

72 gal bowfront
seaclone 150
4 x 65 watt coralife pc
hagen aquaclear 901 in tank
via aqua 3500 with scwd return from wet/dry
160 lbs live rock
40lbs combination sugarsized sand and crushed coral
1 feather dusters
2 emerald crabs
75 hermits scarlet and blue leg
20 turbo snails
3 large brittle stars
2 toadstools
1 colt coral
3 different zoanthid colonies
1 green finger leather, and cabbage leather
1 green starburst
4 different mushrooms
1 large anemone
2 cleaner shrimp
1 6 line wrasse
2 pajama cardinal
1 rock skipping blenny (very cool if you like sadists)
2 percula clown
1 engineer goby
1 scooter blenny

NOT ALL CRABS ARE BAD
rockkfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com