Buying Capepods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to get a bottle and culture them. Sounds funner than SeaMonkeys!

"Funner" sounds, well, fishy to me .... but I teach math, not English, and I agree that culturing sounds good. But I have to say that the tank is already enough work!!

I'm going to dump them in my sump, where they are safe, and transfer them a poco a poco to my tank.

I'm going to dump them in my sump, where they are safe, and transfer them a poco a poco to my tank.

Are pods safe in a sump? 8O The water in my sump goes by quickly through the LR rubble area, to skimmer, through bubble trap, to mag 9.5. Won't the little guys get sucked into a skimmer, or worse... shot back into the tank via the return pump? 8O

Now I'm thinking a fuge might be in my future...

RLG2182 said:

Are pods safe in a sump? 8O The water in my sump goes by quickly through the LR rubble area, to skimmer, through bubble trap, to mag 9.5. Won't the little guys get sucked into a skimmer, or worse... shot back into the tank via the return pump? 8O

Now I'm thinking a fuge might be in my future...

Thats the point. You want the pods to be pumped into the main tank. The pods are the main source of food for the mandarin goby. I am currently setting up the same set-up for my fish. I am building a fuge tonight and getting it set up....

I just purchased 2 of those bottles earlier this week and added them to my sump. My system is ~6months old, about 200Gal with about 200lbs of LR. I added them merely to suppliment my current population of pods and add some diversity. Theres no need to transfer them as they will naturally find there way to the return pump and up into the display.

I've had a pair of scooter blennies for about 1.5 motnhs and they've definately put on weight in that time.

or this which i found on ipsf.com

Reef Amphipod Breeding Kit. Amphipods - small, shrimplike crustaceans of the genus Grammarus - are among the best invertebrate diversity builders you can add to a reef tank, sump or refugium. Our Hawaiian Reef Amphipods mate and reproduce readily in captivity. They consume enormous quantities of diatoms, hair algae and other nuisance algae. They are also a healthy live diet for all types of clownfishes, angelfishes and Mandarin gobies.We ship our captive-bred Reef Amphipodstm nationwide daily, and we've learned that their preferred breeding habitat is a lush green mat of Ulva macroalgae - the 'Pod Mat. You can create your own amphipod farm by floating one of these amphipod mats under low light in a well-aerated sump, refugium or dedicated 10-gallon breeding tank. Seed it with amphipod breeder specimens which we provide. A twice-weekly addition of our enriched 'Pod Flakes (just a pinch!) provides ample nutrient input and trace elements. Our Reef Amphipod Breeding Kit gets you started with all the right components: adult and sub-adult reef amphipods (at least 25 specimens), a thriving 3" x 3" mat of Ulva macroalgae and enough enriched 'Pod Flakes to last for several months. Grow your own! Amphipod Breeding Kit, $29.95 with any livestock order; free shipping if ordered as part of a Mix 'n Match. ($39.95 plus shipping if ordered alone). Order

[Key To Tropical Reef Amphipods] [More on amphipod biology] [Biology of Copepods]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back
Top Bottom