Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Buying fish from internet

I have a question. If I were to bring a bucket of salt water to work and had a fish delivered to my work would I be able to put it in the bucket while I was at work then take it home and add it to my tank or would it stress out or die?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just leave them in the box until you get home.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I guess I didnt think of that. I just figured they were in tight spaces when they were delivered and I would need to get them out.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadubber View Post
Just leave them in the box until you get home.
Depending on how long it were to be..
Most times i get my fish before noon ..If you don't get home till 6-7 PM,thats a lot of time,also take weather conditions into consideration ..If it is warm and sunny thats not good to leave it sitting outside..
Plus you actually want to get those fish out ASAP IMO,,,they are sitting in their own waste and ammonia is sure to be building ..The least amount of time in the shipping bag the better..
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS View Post
Depending on how long it were to be..
Most times i get my fish before noon ..If you don't get home till 6-7 PM,thats a lot of time,also take weather conditions into consideration ..If it is warm and sunny thats not good to leave it sitting outside..
Plus you actually want to get those fish out ASAP IMO,,,they are sitting in their own waste and ammonia is sure to be building ..The least amount of time in the shipping bag the better..
It's obvious that taking them out of the package asap is best. But why go through the hassle of keeping water warm in a bucket at work? How are you acclimating to the bucket? I just don't see how that's any better than leaving them in the box or bags for an hour to two longer. You think that putting them in a bucket and taking them home isn't more stressful to them? I'm just going on the assumption OP works indoors and the box would not be outside.

OP, usually to maximize your order experience you want to be home for delivery and immediately start acclimating. I know when I am expecting and order I take off early since the FedEx delivers around 1pm to my house.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think I would do that. Don't forget those fish have probable been in thoses bags for 24 hrs. already and you want to keep them in there another 8 to 10 hours IMO doesn't sound like a good idea
Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1483
I have a question. If I were to bring a bucket of salt water to work and had a fish delivered to my work would I be able to put it in the bucket while I was at work then take it home and add it to my tank or would it stress out or die?
Is ordering fish online even ok? I know the shipping is a lot but I have never done it b4 do they survive
Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you order from a reputable place you should't have a problem. They come overnight and the good places usually have a guarantee of between 7 and 14 days.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Word of advice about buying fish from the internet DO NOT BUY FROM WWW.AQUACON.COM ( aka aqua connection) !! They were hands down by far the worst company i've worked with so far. I order. A bunch of fish and inverts for me and a friend and they never sent 3 items, sent 2 wrong items, and 2 items died and did nothing for me to fix the issue. So I lost out on over $50.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Liveaquraia.com is probably the best. Plus they give you info on ur fish, so ur not buying a fish to big for ur tank.

Tags
buying fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com