Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

buying fish online

Is it better to buy fish online or at LFS?

Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

For me personally I buy all my livestock at the LFS. I want to be able to observe the fish to see that he is healthy and disease and parasite free. I want to be able to see the fish eat. I want to see what he is eating so I know that at least he`s eating that type food. You cant see none of that if you get it from the LFS. And even though it`s cheaper online I still rather to be able to do a visual.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard good stories of ordering, and horror stories.

It would be better to buy where you can see the health of the fish. That's what I do.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

i will always recommend the LFS over online. beside the visual aspect you get the support if there are any questions or problems with the fish that your not going to get from the online store.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler67
i will always recommend the LFS over online. beside the visual aspect you get the support if there are any questions or problems with the fish that your not going to get from the online store.
You have to be careful with any advice though. Do your research before buying, but yes, lfs are good for advice.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettababe1011 View Post
You have to be careful with any advice though. Do your research before buying, but yes, lfs are good for advice.

You can say that again i took advice from the guy at the LPS once and needless to say that didn't work out to good.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah. That's why I added that.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I go to the LFS; I like to see the fish before purchasing. I also like to check out the condition of the tanks and my LFS has decent prices.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

TBH, LFS tend to have higher prices in my area, so i have bought many things online. Never had a problem with it. If you get any livestock DOA(dead on arrival), you just take a picture of the dead animal, email the vendor you bought it from with that picture attached and they will give you store credit. Unless everything is DOA, in which case they usually send you out a new order. If it's one or two things, the store credit is a cheaper option, since they won't have to send you out two items with the expensive shipping. Then, next time you order from their site, you get to use the credit. I love ordering online because it's just easier, and if you buy from reputable online vendors, there's rarely ever any problems with their livestock.

But still, i agree that being able to see the condition of the livestock before you purchase is peace of mind.

Tags
buying fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com