Calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
I decided to buy a calcium test kit and my calcium is at 500. this is right on the edge of where calcium should be so im not worried, just curious about something. what are the effects of high clacium? does anything happen? and if calcium does get high, how do you lower it?

You need to test both calcium and alkalinity. As one goes up, the other goes down. Increase your calcium too high and your tank will loose it's pH buffering capacity.

so if calcium is good, wouldnt that mean alkalinity is too, and if calcium is high, alkalinity would be low? if thats true, i dont really see the point in testing both...sorry if this sounds stupid

tbrock said:
so if calcium is good, wouldnt that mean alkalinity is too, and if calcium is high, alkalinity would be low? if thats true, i dont really see the point in testing both...sorry if this sounds stupid

Doesn't sound stupid -- it's actually a great question and one that I'm not sure I can answer with sufficient clarity. By way of example: at low alkalinity, calcium may be high. This would be the case if you overdose calcium -- it would drive alkalinity down. On the other hand, at low alkalinity calcium may still be low if all calcium in the water has been consumed by coral, snails, etc etc.

So, you gotta test both unfortunately.

ok i get it better now, ill have to look for an alkalinity test kit, i dotn think my lfs has any. so what happens to ph if calcium is high or low?

tbrock said:
so what happens to ph if calcium is high or low?

Alkalinity is basically a measure of your tank's pH buffering ability. High alk equals a better ability to maintain a constant, high (good) pH.

i just started using aragamilk to raise my ph. the lady at the lfs said that it would work. but the bottle says calcium and buffer. it says it has trace elements, calcium, and to check the ph after use, so it must stabalize ph. so if it has calcium, that would lower the alk which would aslo lower the ph so maybe i shouldnt be using it. since it says calcium and buffer, does that mean that it adds calcium but doesnt lower ph? :?

To raise your pH, consider removing any glass top and aiming a power head to agitate the water surface. Gas exchange is key here.

I'm guessing that the product you have is designed to raise both calcium and alkalinity together, which is possible -- overdosing one will lower the other, but they can both be kept at acceptably high levels. Personally, I use a two part system so I can tweak the calcium and alkalinity part individually as needed.

I started using the Bionic 2 part aditives and got some serious surface agitation and so for my levels have stayed stable,ph along with alk, and calcium is holding steady at 420-430. my sps's have allready started showing signs of improvements.
From what I know about ca, if it stays at 500 your going to get ca build up in your pumps and ph's a lot faster.

is there a way to lower calcium? and what kind of alk test kit do you use?

tbrock said:
is there a way to lower calcium? and what kind of alk test kit do you use?

Do a 25% water change and then check your CA. If it's still high, do another about a week later, this should help.
For the test kit = Salifert.

Back
Top Bottom