Calcium levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b3noodles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can grow coraline? we bought calcium supplement part A and B and a calcium test kit after testing the water we came up with 420 to 440 mg without adding anything ever our levels are where they are supposed to be and we never did anything to it but still no coraline. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Sue.

I really started see lots of growth at about the 6 month mark. Now it sucks that I have to use a razor blade to scrape the corraline off every few days if I want the glass to look nice :)

mine started growing like mad after about a month, my dark baren lace rock is now purple/pink/red, all i do is add a capful of calcium and a capful of alk by seachem every tues/thurs and do a 2 gallon water change every week (about 4% of my total water capcity 55 gal). then again i also have 80lbs of florida keys rock and im sure that helps =)

Many folks recommend Calcium Polygluconate as a great Coraline enhancer. It is found in Seachems Reef Calcium.

http://www.garf.org/main.html

These guys sell some stuff called grunge. I got some with my coral order...came with hermits, starfish, snails and all kinds of extras. I had corraline in my tank already, but I had about half my rocks completely bare...I just got the stuff and I already see that green coating on my bare rocks. (my corraline seems to start out green then turn pink or purple). They are soppose to have strains of mutiple types of corraline that is extremely fast growing. Check out their website and see what you think.

Have you tested you alkilinty levels? Should be 10.6-11.5 thats where I run mine. You cal is good, most say 450-500. I have heard that If you get a piece of LR with coraline on it you can scrub some of the coraline off the LR in the tank helping seed your tank..... My 125 it took 6 months till it started to take off, over a year till I have real good coverage.
My 55 fowlr was faster???? The LR I used had coraline already on it so it had a head start.

Back
Top Bottom