Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Calcium levels

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can grow coraline? we bought calcium supplement part A and B and a calcium test kit after testing the water we came up with 420 to 440 mg without adding anything ever our levels are where they are supposed to be and we never did anything to it but still no coraline. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Sue.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to luntiz
Time is key, be patient.

50 Gallon Acrylic Tank (36x15x20)
85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom
(4) Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) *Awaiting 2 MJ1200s*

Lighting

(1) 250W 10,000K Aqualine Aquamedic HQI Hanging Pendant
(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

(2) Pink Skunk Clownfishes
Goldstripped Maroon Clownfish
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
luntiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I really started see lots of growth at about the 6 month mark. Now it sucks that I have to use a razor blade to scrape the corraline off every few days if I want the glass to look nice
Old 08-20-2004, 01:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

mine started growing like mad after about a month, my dark baren lace rock is now purple/pink/red, all i do is add a capful of calcium and a capful of alk by seachem every tues/thurs and do a 2 gallon water change every week (about 4% of my total water capcity 55 gal). then again i also have 80lbs of florida keys rock and im sure that helps =)
3x penguin 1140 ph
2x65 10,000K and 2x65 03 Acintic
40lbs cc/30lbs argonite sand mixture
80lbs keys rock (www.liverocks.com awesome stuff)
25lbs fiji/tonga lr
10lbs lace base rock (now hapily live with lots of coraline growth)
lziarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Many folks recommend Calcium Polygluconate as a great Coraline enhancer. It is found in Seachems Reef Calcium.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 02:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://www.garf.org/main.html

These guys sell some stuff called grunge. I got some with my coral order...came with hermits, starfish, snails and all kinds of extras. I had corraline in my tank already, but I had about half my rocks completely bare...I just got the stuff and I already see that green coating on my bare rocks. (my corraline seems to start out green then turn pink or purple). They are soppose to have strains of mutiple types of corraline that is extremely fast growing. Check out their website and see what you think.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 02:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also heard several places that seachem products are excellent. haven't used them yet, but planning to.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tested you alkilinty levels? Should be 10.6-11.5 thats where I run mine. You cal is good, most say 450-500. I have heard that If you get a piece of LR with coraline on it you can scrub some of the coraline off the LR in the tank helping seed your tank..... My 125 it took 6 months till it started to take off, over a year till I have real good coverage.
My 55 fowlr was faster???? The LR I used had coraline already on it so it had a head start.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcium, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com