Call the hippo tang police

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alLexX said:
so you didnt tell him it was understocked?

I was being sarcastic meaning that when I commented and told him it's understocked, I ment that it was overstocked

Don't yell at me!
I just returned the hippo tang to my local fish store. I didn't get a refund, but I didn't care. My friend, however, has not returned the hippo tang and plans to keep it there.

Good job on returning him :) You should be proud of yourself for caring about fish lives. Maybe your friend will follow your example. Other than that, tell your friend it's live putting a human in a jail cell for life. Sure they'll live, but it's not going to be a very pleasant life. And the tang did nothing to deserve it.

Also, the hippo tang would grow larger than the size if a 5gal, not that it would live that long.

--Adeeb

For other reason other than curiosity, how long does a hippo take to reach mature size from a small 1"?

Tangs releas a cemical in the water that will stunt its groth. In a smaller tank ther is more cemical witch in ture stresses it out. Bigger tank less cem more groth.

Tangs releas a cemical in the water that will stunt its groth. In a smaller tank ther is more cemical witch in ture stresses it out. Bigger tank less cem more groth.
Wow. Where did you hear that from?

PS...you ever hear of spell check? ;)

A feiend that works at my lfs and I have done some research on it to.
Lol its my auto type on my cell phone I hate it so much

A study done with ciclids(brackish water) showed that with frequent water changes the fish grew significately faster. Skimming helps to control the growth because it prolongs the time between water changes. Tangs and all other saltwater fish will grow no matter what, but you can slow the growth this way. Naturally with a highly stocked tank such as mine, this cannot be done due to water quality. I wouldn't recommend anyone not doing water changes but it is a study a local fish salesman and fellow associate did over a couple years time.

Sounds like my mate, keeps trying to give me advice when I know more than he does and he's the one been running a tank for a year, he has green hair algae everywhere bubble algae and red slime all over his tank added two corals both died he's lost four fish and about 30 or so cleanup crew! Then I try tell him how to deal with the red slime n stuff but he's like no every tank gets it eventually and its a bigger to get rid of, I told him it's the fact he used tap water and has NEVER done a water change says you don't need to!! Very ignorant and to top it off in his 55g he has a anthias, blue hippo tang, foxface, 3 cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, firefish, two clowns, lobster, and thinks he's adding a seahorse for his girlfriend next month. Really winds me up thinks he knows everything!

Don't you just hate that? I;ve heard the same garbage about no water changes being better for the fish and it just kills me. lol And the stock he has is just asking for trouble. These are the first people ready to blame someone else when something dies or goes wrong.

Just do what you plan, and youre tank will outshine his in a few months. The you'll have the last laugh. LOL

I hope so I almost ran into this head first starting a 3 gal pico back in Jan, but I stopped took a breathe and decided to learn everything I could and now I'm slowly getting there. Just can't wait to show him my tank and be like there now look how pretty mine is lol!

Back
Top Bottom