Call the hippo tang police

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwolfe

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
we need to call for immediate action. My friend got a hippo tang for his 5 gallon pico reef. A TANG NEEDS AT LEAST 75 GALLONS. I told him this, but he told me that the tang would be fine. I almost want to come back in six months, break in his house, steal the tang, and put the tang in my 300 gallon. (By then it will be finished!)
I need tons of reasons why you shouldn't keep a hippo tang in a 5 gallon. I need this all by Tom., when I will show him this forum.
PLEASE TELL HIM WHY HE SHOULDN'T KEEP A HIPPO TANG IN 5 GALLONS.
Thanks,
Garrett

Yes, I know it's in a 20 gallon, but that's only for six months. This tang is going to be there for a long time. Yes, you can keep for a short time a hippo tang in a 20 gallon, but long term no way. I knew this and this is part of the reason why I'm building it a 300 gallon. You are not even supposed to ever keep a hippo tang in a five gallon, not even temporarily. My hippo tang is not even an inch. I just measured it, (I may have said on another forum that it is two inches, I was mistaken) and his is like 4 inches. It could barely swim.

One reason is it will strongly stress him over a period of time because it is cramped and probaly not a lot of rock is in there for it to graze and hide

I try to explain to people it is like having 3 of your friends living in your bathroom and you catering food something bad is going to happen.

Nothing anyone says is going to change his mind. It is a pity a beautiful wild caught fish will waste away in a little glass box.

I wouldn't keep at hippo tang in a 20L for more than a week. You're in no position to be telling your friend what to do. Lead by example.

cls8s said:
I wouldn't keep at hippo tang in a 20L for more than a week. You're in no position to be telling your friend what to do. Lead by example.

Why not? He said it was an inch anyways, and he is fully aware of the needs of the tang and is upgrading past it's required tank size. I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just wondering why you think it's so bad.

shadowstars123 said:
Why not? He said it was an inch anyways, and he is fully aware of the needs of the tang and is upgrading past it's required tank size. I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just wondering why you think it's so bad.

It's noted everywhere that hippo tang needs 6 ft to swim in. He's not upgrading for 6 months. And I think it's "so bad" because he's trying to tell someone else what to do when he's not even following proper behaviour.

Honestly if i didnt come by this site, and find out about live aquaria.. I would have put a tang into my 55. The smallest one even needs a 75 but i got a 55 so i gotta deal with a tangless tank. My friends all come by and look at my tank, you got nemo where dory at? I said my tank isnt big enough.. Then show em the restrictions.

But tangs are active, especially that blue one they need over 120 gallons.. My lfs has 20 small ones.. I hate walking by them knowing they get a foot long!!

Didnt read: i see that its temporary, imma just fade back into the darkness on this one. Idk

That'd be like putting a 6' person in a 5'x1' tube. No room to turn around and you'll be living in what is more waste than water.

Yes, I know it's in a 20 gallon, but that's only for six months. This tang is going to be there for a long time. Yes, you can keep for a short time a hippo tang in a 20 gallon, but long term no way. I knew this and this is part of the reason why I'm building it a 300 gallon. You are not even supposed to ever keep a hippo tang in a five gallon, not even temporarily. My hippo tang is not even an inch. I just measured it, (I may have said on another forum that it is two inches, I was mistaken) and his is like 4 inches. It could barely swim.

If it's in a 20 Gallon for six months, why even purchase the fish?

Why not return it, get another in six months?

As for your friend, don't waste your breath, he is obviously ignorant when it comes to advice about fish so it's pointless saying anything.

I know plenty of people who look ignorant when I tell them about what a fish requires and why you shouldn't keep X fish in X tank, it's a waste of time.

You can only teach those willing to learn.

Don't yell at me!
I just returned the hippo tang to my local fish store. I didn't get a refund, but I didn't care. My friend, however, has not returned the hippo tang and plans to keep it there.

Oh yeah,
I also returned most of my fish, except the Clownfish. I had a hippo tang, pajama cardinal, and a chromi. I now only have a Clownfish because I was worried that I overstocked. I no longer am overstocking my tank. I understocked it.

I have 3 fish in my 24g and so it shall remain. I've decided that if I get ich I'll abandon fish altogether and go all out on coral :p. Tank has been running for 3 months now and has 6 different coral colonies so I must be doing okay. But yep, the less your bioload the less need for water changes to keep water quality high. I may get rid of my long nosed hawkfish, but seeing as it perches I don't see why it needs a 55 gallon tank...

Here's a video of a very overstocked aquarium:

At least I didn't overstock this bad...

I've read that in too small-a tank, the Tang's body stops growing, but it's internal organs keep growing... Don't waste your breath with this "friend". As said above, you can only really teach those that want to listen.

I just commented on the video and said that it was understocked

Back
Top Bottom