Can anyone explain why my pistol shrimp CUT HIS OWN CLAW OFF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyz0os

Aquarium Advice Activist
To save time:
All levels are zero.
He went missing for 2-3 days
Yesterday he flicked his tail and swam frantically only to fall Bacon down and land on his side or back and would lay stiff. Afterwards, he had his claw on his other claw, before I knew it, he was swimming somewhere else and the severed claw was on the floor of the aquarium. I thought he was dying and didn't have the heart to euthanize him so I decided to let nature take its place. But all morning he's been burrowing under a new rock like if nothing happened

Maybe he was molting while he was missing? Mine does that too. My b/f saw a claw floating around and was like oh no!, but I know better. I thought the same thing the first time I saw a claw. lol

carey said:
Maybe he was molting while he was missing? Mine does that too. My b/f saw a claw floating around and was like oh no!, but I know better. I thought the same thing the first time I saw a claw. lol

Hahaha I noticed I wrote Bacon rather than back :p

Molting? True because he usually comes out of this whole in his home rock when its feeding time but this was creepy. He kept flinging himself everywhere. And the claw isn't from the molt. I mean he used to have 2, now he's walking around with just one

That is creepy...I'm sorry I don't have an answer for ya. I'd keep an eye on him and see what happens next.

carey said:
That is creepy...I'm sorry I don't have an answer for ya. I'd keep an eye on him and see what happens next.

Well he burrowed into a rock in the back of the tank and I got worried because there was no openings so I lifted the rocks and moved them around. He scurried out and started burrowing. Right now he's settled into a new rock and pushing sand out as we speak:] but that whole claw thing still puzzles me. Thank you for your input:]

I'm no help, but this reminds me of a tv show where a guy had reverse phantom limb syndrome and cut his leg off because it didn't feel like it was his.
Hopefully your little shrimp can make it with only one claw, I have a goldfish that's missing two fins and she gets along just fine swimming like a spaz.
Good luck!!!

Sssea said:
I'm no help, but this reminds me of a tv show where a guy had reverse phantom limb syndrome and cut his leg off because it didn't feel like it was his.
Hopefully your little shrimp can make it with only one claw, I have a goldfish that's missing two fins and she gets along just fine swimming like a spaz.
Good luck!!!

Hahah yeah I've heard of the phantom or alien arm thing :p but yeah the behavior yesterday was REALLY strange. I think he's doing fine now though. Digging his burrow with one claw instead of 2 now

heyz0os said:
Hahah yeah I've heard of the phantom or alien arm thing :p but yeah the behavior yesterday was REALLY strange. I think he's doing fine now though. Digging his burrow with one claw instead of 2 now

I've been following along and id be asking where's my check for homing such a werid shrimp.

THIS is all I can find on the subject. I didn't dig very deep. It's on Wikispaces though so I'm not sure it's very reliable. According the the article, it's only been recording once in nature, and it says nothing about aquariums. It supposedly gives him too snapping claws and severs the nerve. No reasons as to why though.

jsmith said:
I've been following along and id be asking where's my check for homing such a werid shrimp.

Hahaha a check :p I wish, then I'd buy more aquarium stuff haha

Strawman said:
THIS is all I can find on the subject. I didn't dig very deep. It's on Wikispaces though so I'm not sure it's very reliable. According the the article, it's only been recording once in nature, and it says nothing about aquariums. It supposedly gives him too snapping claws and severs the nerve. No reasons as to why though.

Thank you for the link. It's been useful:]

Yeah clintwood (my pistol shrimps name :p) had two claws. They were both roughly around the same size and like I said in the previous posts, he started acting really weird just flicking his tail to push himself to the top of the tank and just let himself fall. He's fine now. My sleeper goby took clintwoods old rock while he burrowed into a new one and now he has what looks like a small claw or 2 arms together. I kept the severed claw in an empty flake container :p

Did you see it cut it off? If not, they occasionally have problems molting and will lose limbs. Keeping iodine, trace elements high lessens the chances of this happening.

Sarcothelia said:
Did you see it cut it off? If not, they occasionally have problems molting and will lose limbs. Keeping iodine, trace elements high lessens the chances of this happening.

Yeah I saw it cut it off. He was holding his right claw with his left. Before I knew it, he walked on with the claw on the ground

Im still sorry for your lost..or should I say part loss of your shrimp.

Perhaps your shrimp suffers with a rare neurological condition called Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID) lol.

It's a real disorder appearantly, a man who had it hated his own perfectly good right leg and wanted it amputated, doctors wouldn't approve the surgery so he took matters into his own hands! Yikes!

Link : David Openshaw | Neurological disorder

GuppyMCG said:
Perhaps your shrimp suffers with a rare neurological condition called Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID) lol.

It's a real disorder appearantly, a man who had it hated his own perfectly good right leg and wanted it amputated, doctors wouldn't approve the surgery so he took matters into his own hands! Yikes!

Link : David Openshaw | Neurological disorder

His name shoulda been david ripshaw lol

Back
Top Bottom