Can anyone identify this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
My sandbed gets this rust color the longer i leave my lights on, which makes me think its algae... But idk.. Cant be diatoms i use ro/di water here are some pictures

Attachments

• image-203911567.jpg
    image-203911567.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-4005010463.jpg
    image-4005010463.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image-992934102.jpg
    image-992934102.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 82
Well my intial makeup of my tank wasnt ro\di water but ive done one pwc so far with my filtered water.. Brand new system btw.. So maybe ill keep doing pwc w my new water

Any new saltwater tank will go through a diatom phase. They'll normally die back as the tank matures.

Sweep it up with a net or you can get a water vacuum( which is better in the long run) but it will go away with time.

Rutrag said:
Any new saltwater tank will go through a diatom phase. They'll normally die back as the tank matures.

My tank is almost a year old

Diatoms feed off of silicates which are not usually found in your water. Have you changed your light bulbs and/or lighting schedule?

Get a same shifter star fish and or nasserus snails my tank die that still i added 6 nasserus snails and 2 sand shifter star fish

Get a sand shifter star fish and or nasserus snails my tank did that till i added 6 nasserus snails and 2 sand shifter star fish. Sorry Auto correct. Sucks

Try cutting back 1 hr. Do you have anything that stirs your sand?

Only a fighting conch, i need nacaruis snails, the bulbs are 6 months old, is that too old? Ive read that the time frame is 9-12 months

Also- did anything happen to the tank to cause a mini cycle? This could also of caused the diatom bloom.

Your bulbs may be reaching the end of their life- just make sure to switch them out one at a time so if you have corals they can adjust to the new lighting

Also- did anything happen to the tank to cause a mini cycle? This could also of caused the diatom bloom.

Your bulbs may be reaching the end of their life- just make sure to switch them out one at a time so if you have corals they can adjust to the new lighting

nope, perfect water parameters, but then again the algae cood be eating the nitrates before my test kit reads them, but i do atleast a 15% PWC every week so they should be low.. btw my bulbs are t5HO

Back
Top Bottom