Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd take them back and look into some of the really cool nano stuff out there. 5 gallons is just going to be tough to keep everything in check, even for someone with experience. Nitrates will jump up quick. Salinity can increase if water levels drop. Temperature can bounce around based on room temps and you dont want any more than a 2 degree change in a day. It's just tough to maintain a healthy saltwater environment in such a tiny space. I think 30-40 is good for starters, but I would not be comfortable going much smaller, even with my several years of experience.

Reefs are great, but you would have to really watch your parameters closely. That is a delicate ecosystem that is not always tolerant of big fluctuations, which are very likely to occur in a 5g tank.

TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Nice job on the last couple of posts being civil! Lets keep it that way folks. The OP has been informed of the issue with the size of tank and his stocking list, lets keep the positive options coming.

the Bog

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
I started the SW tank knowing about the risks and challenges involved. I just thought I would give it a try. If it doesn't work out I'll be upset sure, but it will be ok. It wouldn't be the first stupid thing I've ever done, it probably won't be the last either. Thanks for the input everyone.
rjcatlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
Yeah clown fish need at least 30 gallon or bigger
Dreamsound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
i agree that the tank is two small for them to be happy or even not fight i have a 30 gallon and first two fish i put in where a yellow tail and a clown and th yellow tail tormented the clown and forced him to swim on his side at the top of the tank i brought him back and decided to buy another damsel but decided theywhere to boring just hide all day in my rocks so i then went out today and bought a larger clown along with a smaller one and now the yellow tails wont even bother them at all maybe because the larger clown protects the smaller one but everybody seems great

Jamroz37 is offline   Reply With Quote

clown, clownfish, damsel, damsels, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com