Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can I Add Blue and Yellow Tang at Same Time?

I have an 80 gallon high tank with 20 gallon sump. I currently have 4 Chromis and 2 Clownfish. I would like to complete my stock by adding a blue and yellow Tang. I can get a very good price at my lfs if I get them at the same time. So would I have a problem adding these two at the same time? And will my stock be ok for an 80 gallon tank? Thanks

Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't put two in period. 1 or the other, they need room to move. If the tank was 6ft long, I'd say go for it. I'm assuming the tank is 4ft or less so I recommend only 1. Plus, even added at the same time, in a smaller tank they may still fight over territory.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok. I would probably end up going with the blue. They have different size blue tangs, I'm going to go with the tiny size which is about an 1". Can the tiny ones still grow up to 12"? Also considering what I already have what other fish can I get with the blue tang to complete my stock if any? Really would like to take advantage of the lfs buy 1 get one half off
Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you are talking about the regal blue tang, yes they can get to 12'' no matter how small you buy it. I think it takes around 5 yrs to fully grow. I'd say any more fish at all would be pushing it. You have 6 fish already. When I had my 75, it only had 5 fish and I thought it was a touch crowded. I wouldn't add anymore fish due to the fact of giving the fish room to swim around and having too much bio-load.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I would not add a Regal blue tang to that tank. You can probably get away with a yellow, but that still grow to 8". Tangs needs lots of swimming room. I recommend a 6' length tank at a minimum for tangs.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Agreed, I would go without the tangs. Chances are they will become too stressed and become sick, most likely with ich and infect your other fish and entire tank.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Disappointing to here being that I upgraded from a 20 to an 80 gallon so I could put blue and yellow tang in. I thought I saw some members with 75 and 80 gallon tanks with them in. I thought adding the chromis wouldn't add much bio load because of how small they are. I do appreciate the good advice.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

If you look around you can find people with tangs in any size tank. It's just not responsible practice. Look into some butterflyfish, similar body type and just as active.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are some tangs that are fine for your size tank. Chocolate tangs (aka mimic lemon peel tang), bristle tooth tangs, and the Chevron tangs come to mind.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Mimic Lemon Peel Tang

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Bristletooth Tomini Tang

Chevron Tang

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They may not overdue the bio-load, but just giving the fish room to swim around. Think of a tang as a cow(alot happier in a field than in a pen) A slightly understocked tank will be more rewarding than a tank that is packed full. 6 fish seems like nothing compared to some of the freshwater tanks the same size that may have 10-20 fish in them. But, the butterfly may be a good option.

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com