Can I add sand to an "established" tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50 gal tank that has been running for just over a month. I have a mixed crushed coral / sand substrate. I am wishing I had only sand. With out taking out the crushed coral due to the amount of work it would be (I think) would I be able to add sand? pros / cons??? What about Old castle or Southdown sand from Home Depot?

Adding the sand will be fine. Both the olde castle or southdown are Ok as will any aragonite sand. The problem will be that the larger CC particles will always end up rising to the top layer. If you dont have lots of stuff(LR, inverts or fish) in the tank switch out 20% or so at a time and do the changeover. You will be happier in the long run.

I just added more sand I put it on the bottom of my existing stuff and my ammonia and nitrates went nuts bad thing is I have my first group of coral coming in friday and I gotta get the stuff back down. Its nicer in the long run but holy crap this aint good for me right now

Sounds a bit odd that the ammonia and nitrates would go so crazy especially since you are only adding parts at a time. Are you cycling your tank at the moment? What exactly do you define as "nuts"?

Back
Top Bottom