Can i be cycled alread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rilesjr44

Aquarium Advice Activist
He everyone so I'm on day 4 of my cycle with 65 pounds of live rock from a buddies tank and about 15 of real good rock from my lps this isy second test I believe I need my nitrate higher but my looks good 0 ammonia I think can't tell the colors and 0 nitrite any help would be awesome pic I below and threw another one in cause my gf tolde I was a dork cause of my mini lab lol.

staticmap

Attachments

• image-2539483881.jpg
    image-2539483881.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-785467194.jpg
    image-785467194.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image-131654235.jpg
    image-131654235.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 75
Did not add anything thought u only did that to speed things up what would I put in?

Well you need an ammonia source to actually cycle the tank. If its jus saltwater, your params should be 0,0,0. You need to add a frozen shrimp to the tank. Just put it in a net and into the tank. Once the ammonia and nitrite rise and then fall to 0 and nitrate rises you have to do a water change to get nitrates under 10. Then you'll be cycled.

Ok awesome bro thank you so once it's cycled is that when I put in my cleaning crew and if so what should I start with. Oh yeah how many shrimp should I put in lol

What size tank is this??? One shrimp should do. If you want put 2 in. I would add the CUC after you get a fish or two so they have something to clean up. If there's not algae, algae eating critters will starve, I'd they eat detritus, and there is none, they'll starve, so add them after you have some stuff for them to clean. Any other questions?? I'm happy to help!!!

Did you use RODI to fill the tank? Is it live sand? If so, i say skip the shrimp and add a couple hermit crabs. I did a similar thing here. Live sand and live rock from an established tank. I added a small CUC and it cycled itself without seeing a huge spike in ammonia. The existing bacteria in the sand and rocks took care of the ammonia produced, I never even saw a spike in nitrites. And then there were my nitrates. My clowns got added, a bigger CUC, everyone's been happy since.

I really wouldn't risk it. You're wasting your money because you will likely have I do excess water changes to keep levels low so the inverts live. And live sand is wet sand f it's been sitting on the shelf for a long time. I would will make sure your cycled before you start throwing stuff in. Everything good that happens in this hobby happens slowly, so wait.

In your opinion maybe. I know from my cycle, and this is what happened to me. Why does he need to add a source of ammonia? His tank can do its thing, he said that he added rock from his buddies tank. I think he needs to answer the questions before you start knocking my answers. This whole forum is for people to share experiences and opinions. Don't tell me I'm wrong if it worked for me thanks :cool:

I used pure di water I work at a power plant and we have a water treatment dept so I have lots of di water. Put in live sand and live rock from an established tank. But already put a raw shrimp in 2 days ago gonna test when I get home. Also buying a new tank for my QT after work how do I cycle that and what do I need as far as equipment for it I have read sponge filter no light, sand, or live rock just a PVC elbow and saltwater how does it cycle with nothing in it? Helpppp pls.

I didn't tell you you were wrong. Ever. I did what you stated this forum is for: giving advice and ipinions. What do you mean let it do it's thing??? If you did that with normal rock you would en up with a bunch of deaf fish. You need to cycle. Once ammonia and nitrite rise and fall to 0 and you get nitrates at <10, you can add a fish a week. It cycles with nothin in it be

I just think that your comment jumped the gun on his purpose of posting. He told us significant info after I asked the questions. His sand and rock came from an established tank is how he answered. At that point in the game, even if the rock didn't get transported wet, he will be good regardless without the shrimp. If the rock and sand was kept wet, no he wouldn't need a shrimp because most likely the BB that converts the ammonia and nitrates is present. If the rock was "dead", then the die off will help kick start the ammonia spike. And that's what I meant by do its thing. It worked for me, in a very similar situation to this one, which is why I replied to the thread in the first place. Crister I no doubt have used your advice before I appreciate it, I'm just saying its hard to tell someone to dump a shrimp in their tank without knowing all the very relevant facts first.

Im sorry I didn't mean to come off as harsh at all. I would still do the shrimp just a a protective measure, only my opinion though. Just to be safe.

Benamayer said:
If the rock and sand was kept wet, no he wouldn't need a shrimp because most likely the BB that converts the ammonia and nitrates is present.

'Most likely' are key words here.

I agree with crister on this one. Just because the rock and sand came from an established tank does not mean its good to go. Some die off occurs during transport also a lot of die off can occur if exposed for a mere half hour.

It worked for you but it does not work like that every time. Adding inverts now could ultimately result in their death. Also if you do it like you suggested you will end up with a relatively weak biological filter. BB colonies will shrink to if there is not a significant and constant ammonia source. This means when adding the first fish or two you could experience a spike.

Using the shrimp method or dosing ammonia is your best bet. There is no guarantee with the method you support.

To the OP, your cycle has not even started. Hence why you do not have any nitrates. Likely since your rock and sand came from an established tank you will not have much of a cycle depending in how the rock and sand was transported and how long it was out of water. But you will still have a cycle of some size. My advice would be to dose ammonia to a few ppm and let it cycle it into nitrates before adding anything. After ammonia and nitrite are 0, do a water change to get nitrates < 10ppm and add your first fish.

If your biofilter is established enough the ammonia should convert very rapidly, within a few days max.

My live rock was out of water for an hour. Still no trates also no ammonia and the shrimp has been in for 3 days when will it spike and start the cycle. Hurry up and wait rite lol everyone on here is giving me great advice and I really appreciate that. How about a qt tank getting one in the AM what do I need and how do I cycle it. Here's some pics of my aqua scape.

staticmap

Attachments

• image-2654078310.jpg
    image-2654078310.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 64
rilesjr44 said:
My live rock was out of water for an hour. Still no trates also no ammonia and the shrimp has been in for 3 days when will it spike and start the cycle. Hurry up and wait rite lol everyone on here is giving me great advice and I really appreciate that. How about a qt tank getting one in the AM what do I need and how do I cycle it. Here's some pics of my aqua scape.

An hour out of water will experience a good amount of die off. You should see ammonia start to rise in a few days or less. And yes patience is key in this hobby, only bad things happen fast.

No need to cycle a QT tank. Simply put a sponge or other bio media in your displays filter that will have the beneficial bacteria grow on it and when you put a fish in your QT tank you simply pit the sponge or bio media in the QT tank and its ready to go.

See, I'm going to unsubscribe from this particular thread, I value what you have always said in these threads Schism, and I've followed your advice as well, but if the rock was transported damp, there really wouldn't be that much die off, but then again that question wasn't asked... That's my only issue with this thread and it's making me think how many people's questions are answered without getting the right facts first...

rilesjr44 said:
My live rock was out of water for an hour.

I believe thats answered the question. I think your jumping to conclusions when you assume there was not die-off from an hour out of water.

My advice is the safe way go. No reason to risk throwing things in without a cycle, and since rock was out of water an hour there will be die-off, even with wet newspaper like your assuming.

Im sorry if ive said something that rubbed you the wrong way. No offense meant and none taken.

Back
Top Bottom