Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can I Cremate My Puffer?

I had a porcupine puffer fish that just recently died last night and i am not going to flush him, i want to cremate him and put him in an urn necklace, anyone know how i would do this? do i just light him on fire and let him burn?

Old 04-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol, i am sorry but this is funny. i have never heard of anyone want to creamate there fish. umm.... I would either just throw him in a fire but it is done with people in a furnace. And to effectively do it i would think you would need a furnace. If you were to just throw it in a fire though it would not effectively do it. You could make a furnace. How i dont really know. Maybe out of really thick tinfoil and propane torches. But to effectively do it you need a furnace.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

awww im sorry to hear that... ive had a few fish over the years that ive been very attached to... we always buried them in the backyard.

i highly doubt you would be able to accomplish this at home... the average temperatures need are about 1,600–1,800 įF..... and what is left over isnt actually ash... it is dried bone fragments which then need to be pulverized to create that "ash" type material. you would have to build or buy some type of brick oven.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to mellawson
First off I'm sorry you lost your fish and second cremation probably isn't the way to go...don't take this wrong but have you ever smelt burnt fish? blech and again don't take this wrong but since you have never done it before chances are it won't go smoothly and I would think this isn't something you want to get right in the middle of and realize it wasn't such a great idea. Maybe bury him and plant a flower?
Old 04-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewz00 View Post
awww im sorry to hear that... ive had a few fish over the years that ive been very attached to... we always buried them in the backyard.

i highly doubt you would be able to accomplish this at home... the average temperatures need are about 1,600–1,800 įF..... and what is left over isnt actually ash... it is dried bone fragments which then need to be pulverized to create that "ash" type material. you would have to build or buy some type of brick oven.
just to clarify heat levels...

300 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit – a normal kitchen oven.
400 to 800 degrees Fahrenheit – hot enough to temper steel.
800 to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit – Metal glows red-hot.
1200 to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit – Metal glows orange. You can forge and harden iron.
1800 to 2600 degrees Fahrenheit – Metal glows white-hot. You can forge and harden steel.
2600 to 3200 degrees Fahrenheit – Iron melts.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you really want it cremated properly, take it to a vet. They offer cremation for lost pets. Sorry for your loss.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ive had hamsters cremated before... the vets staff always looked at me funny, but it was a member of the family!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to mellawson
I didn't know vets did that cool well maybe not cool but I'm glad you have the option Countrygurl.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol....sorry
Old 04-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

any ideas y my puffer died?

so before my puffer died he got sick and had like white stuff all over him, looked ilke he was peeling, i called my pet store where i get all my stuff and she wanted a picture of him so i took her in one and she gave me an antibiotic to put in the water called maracyn plus, i put this in the water in the morning and he died the same night. now i have another puffer in the same tank and he is starting to do the same thing even though the antibiotic is in the water, what do i do so he doesnt die too? oh and whatever the heck is killing everything off also killed a big hairy hermit crab as well today. i am lost.

Tags
puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com