can I cut off feather duster tube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a hawaiian feather duster that, shortly after arrival, broke through his "tube" and made a new tube to achor himself deeper in the sand. Now the old tube has worked its way to the surface, and just flaps in the current. It's gross looking -- can I cut it off since the worm no longer uses it? I know it's not part of the worm & won't hurt it, but I'm not sure if having a small open space like that will be bad for it, or if it will just cover it over again.

Thanks!

what do you meant cut it off, it shouldnt be attached to the animal and i would think you can just lift the old tube out of the water?

mastershake said:
what do you meant cut it off, it shouldnt be attached to the animal and i would think you can just lift the old tube out of the water?

No it's like branches on a tree. He was in one tube, then he broke through that tube in the center and started a new branch to anchor himself better. Now the old branch is still attached but empty, and just flapping there.

Not sure why I think the worm is male... lol...

If you are absolutely sure it's in no way attached or being used by the worm in anyway. And that cutting it off isn't going to disturb "him", I'd remove it.

I had to move my featherduster from one spot because my damsels constantly threw sand at it , i had to pull it off a rock and it tore at the end but when i put in the live sand bed (i put it in pretty deep) it recovered the piece

Back
Top Bottom