Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can i do this?

So it's going to be about another week or so before i get my LR. Can i go ahead and mix my salt water and get it in my tank, along with some live sand? I have the live sand thats in the little water bag. Also, will my powerheads prevent the sand from settling? Maybe i should keep those off and wait for the sand to settle...

Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Turn your power heads on as soon as the larger sand has had a chance to settle. It takes me awhile to get the flow right anyway so I create a few sand storms when setting up a new tank.

That sand really isn't alive there is now worms or anything in it. I don't understand why they say it is alive since even the bacteria has had a chance to die.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

What sized tank you talking? If large enuf for a sump, I'd do fw first and trun on all the pumps and let it go for a day to ensure no leaks. Now if a smaller tank with no sump - or if large w/sump, Id mix the SW in the tank w/no sand first if easier for you.

P.S. - that lice sand in a bag won't do anything special for you IMO. Maybe less dust than a bag of dry though.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a 75 gal tank. So should i just run some RO water through it, and if no leaks go ahead and mix the salt in?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

And yeah, i have a 33gal rubber maid tub sump with the 5gal bucket filled with bioballs and and layer of foam media on top
Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

That's what I'd do since there are pumps and hoses involved where leak opportunities exist. After the leak test, prolly gonna mix the sand in the main to JUST a bit over the desired level. Then, when you turn the pump to run it to the sump and back, you're adding more fresh water and will bring the salinity back down a bit.

I'd like to hear some other sugestions, but that's what I'd consider doing.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Thanx but no.....

That's what I'd do ..... very slowly on the salt add though with all the powerheads running 24/7 while your adding the salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com