can i do this?? or how should i do this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigford84

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 30 gal im going to set up just to make my own live rock,or maybe its called curing?? i want to put like 30lbs of rock that is not live,and put some live rock in to turn it all into live rock.. can i do that??? or how should i do it?? idea came from seeing a bunch of really pourus rock at my local pond and garden store. any ideas guys????

I think what you are talking about is using base rock. Base rock is simply dried rock that has no bacteria living on it. Live rock is base rock that has been colonized by bacteria that are part of the nitrogen cycle that keeps your tank running. Curing is for live rock mostly - usually there will be die-off from the live rock (bacteria, creatures, etc) that occurs during shipping. You want to cure this rock to make sure the dead material does not affect your tank.

To save money many people buy base rock (which is much cheaper) and a small portion of live rock to "seed" the rest of the rock. This is the method I used with my tank. In time the algae and life from the live rock will spread to everything in your tank. You can use the porous rock from the pond & garden store, but just make sure it is clean and will not leach chemicals, etc into your tank.

Hello
I think You can use some porous rocks at the base of tank. dont use chemically treated rocks because they directly affect on living creature of tank.and at the same time always use small small piece of rock instead of using whole big pieces of rock.
Thanks

Okay. you want to be sure that the rock that you are getting from the garden shop is calcium base as any other type will not help you to buffer your tank and help to keep your PH and ca stable. Another thing is to make sure that the rocks have not been treated with anything. Other then that just follow Atte's advice and you should be good to go.

I am thinking of doing the same thing as the price of live rock in my area is prohibitivly expencive and I have a 250g tank on the way which will need a lot of it maby we should cal this culturing liverock.

any ideas on what conditions would be ideal for the spread of the benificial bacteria and other creatchers? light temp in a tank without anything els wouldnt we need to feed the bacteria/creatchers on somthing

Check out the articule on making your own Baserock on this site.

Back
Top Bottom