Can I get a coral catshark????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 150g tank with 110# LR, honeycomb grouper, blonde naso tang, yellow tang, niger trigger, male bird wrasse, porcupine puffer, and snowflake eel, and I was wondering if I could get a coral catshark for my last edition. All of the fish are under 6" now so I doubt they would harass the shark if I got it from bluezooaquatics (10"-14") and my trigger is around 4" and puffer around 5"-6". Can I get him? What can I do to help make it a better home if I can/cant? Thanks.

Not a black banded bamboo shark, a coral cat shark. True catshark. Atelomycterus mormoratus. I was just asking if it would be ok with my tank, not if I could care for it. Thanks for the help though. :)

Blue zoo states 150g and specifically states not to house them with triggers or puffers

In my experience if you have a puffer and you get something that is mellow and likes to hangout in one spot then the puffer will take chunks out of it. It was not a fun experience :(

Also if I got it I wouldmfeed the trig and the puffer like three times a day to reduce aggression

That's what I was doing. But sometimes you can't always feed them as much as you want and then the bite your stingrays tail of and then the stingray dies and your really sad

Still get very large. The biggest problem I've seen with them is they can be clumsy and move stuff around and knock stuff over once they get larger

Ya I know. I have pretty large rocks, so I hope im good. How big exactly do the males get? I know there smaller though.

You need really fine substrate. Also I recommend that you set up LR stacked up near the back corners only so it has a much room for it to roam as possible.

I agree completely, if the substrate isnt very fine the shark is at risk of infection,that being said your tank maintenance will be more complicated, being You really can't have any cleanup crew and substrate is harder to clean, another route is mix crush coral with fine argonite sand mix. 1/4 crush coral the rest should all be sand, I've seem that done once or twice with shark inhabited tanks.

got the horseshoe instead. I think 150g is too small for a 2' shark. JMHO. Hopefully ill actually see her:)

Back
Top Bottom