Can I get a sanity check on the cycling process please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gear-head

Aquarium Advice Freak
Going for a FOWLR setup, 37 gal:

Start the process with LR and some dead base rock, Live sand and some dead.

Use the shrimp carcass method (Do I need to do this if I use Live Rock?)

Ammonia goes up
Ammonia starts to come down, Nitrites go up
Nitrites come down, Nitrates go up

Water change to drop Nitrates

Add cleaning crew

Assuming Ammonia and Nitrites are still zero, and Nitrates are in check, I can add a fish or two.

Basically correct?

I'm a newbie at this too, but I think you have it right. I'm in the midst of my first cycle now, ammonia and nitrites have both started going up (and nitrates, I might add). I'm waiting for ammonia to start to drop... from what I hear about 1-2 weeks out.

I started with just lr and ls, and of course the hitchhikers that come with the lr. My big question was should you change water when ammonia starts spiking, there seem to be mixed feelings on that - some way let it cycle through, some way prolong the cycle and do a partial water change (this avoids perhaps killing more critters that might be in the tank).

Good luck to you!

Sounds like you have it right to me. I'd go one fish at a time unless I was adding schooling fish though. Keep a tight check on ammonia levels as you add fish just to be safe.
The aquarium cycling process was designed on purpose by Mother Nature to deprive us of our sanity :mrgreen: .

Back
Top Bottom