Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can i get rid of my bioballs?

I have a 75 gallon fowlr tank with about 70 pounds of live rock. I have a wet/dry/trickle filter in my sump. In the filter the water passes through some filter floss, activated carbon, purigen, and bioballs. Im going to be adding a protein skimmer in the next week or two. From what I understand this is probably overkill?

I've been told I can get rid of the bioballs but can I just get rid of them all at once or do I need to take them out gradually? The tank is about 3 months old with 4 fish and a small cleanup crew.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say in order to do that you would need another 40 lbs. of rock then you could start to remove them slowly. A general rule is 1 1/2 lbs. per gallon if its a pores rock such as figi. If its denser rock like atlantic rock you would need about 2 lbs. per gallon.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

In my opinion I would keep them as the more filtration you have the better, more filtration you have = better water quality = better health for your fish!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got the same tank and have read mixed reviews on bio balls. Some say they are nitrate factories, others seem to have no issue with them. Years ago, I had a larger tank with the same basic system and my parameters were always fine. So far, I have experienced the same with my 75 about two months in. Until I experience something negative, I'm keeping mine as-is. I think your setup, especially with skimmer, should be okay.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd
I've got the same tank and have read mixed reviews on bio balls. Some say they are nitrate factories, others seem to have no issue with them. Years ago, I had a larger tank with the same basic system and my parameters were always fine. So far, I have experienced the same with my 75 about two months in. Until I experience something negative, I'm keeping mine as-is. I think your setup, especially with skimmer, should be okay.
Junk the bioballs.

You have live rock and plenty of it. Some more could not hurt but you have enough that you dont need bioballs.

Bioballs are a biological filter media. Live rock does this for you and WAY better. Bioballs also trap organics and allow them to break down. These become essentially nitrate factories and will always contribute to nitrate production.

Removing the bioballs 25% at a time weekly will ensure no fluctuations occur.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I took all my filter media and bioballs out. I got a massive protein skimmer and liverock in my Sump trates are zero
Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Take the bioballs out and replace with LR rubble. That will be extra bio filtration.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

They caused a lot of problems in my tank I got rid of them added cheato alge and my tank is way cleaner and no problems with trates of phosphates it's nice did wonders for my tank
Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J33ps
They caused a lot of problems in my tank I got rid of them added cheato alge and my tank is way cleaner and no problems with trates of phosphates it's nice did wonders for my tank
Cool man. Sometimes the little changes can make a big difference.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Cool man. Sometimes the little changes can make a big difference.
Thanks man ya I'm glad I got rid off those things tank has never been better its like a hole new tank again

Tags
bio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com