Can i get rid of my bioballs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christopher311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon fowlr tank with about 70 pounds of live rock. I have a wet/dry/trickle filter in my sump. In the filter the water passes through some filter floss, activated carbon, purigen, and bioballs. Im going to be adding a protein skimmer in the next week or two. From what I understand this is probably overkill?

I've been told I can get rid of the bioballs but can I just get rid of them all at once or do I need to take them out gradually? The tank is about 3 months old with 4 fish and a small cleanup crew.

Thanks

I'd say in order to do that you would need another 40 lbs. of rock then you could start to remove them slowly. A general rule is 1 1/2 lbs. per gallon if its a pores rock such as figi. If its denser rock like atlantic rock you would need about 2 lbs. per gallon.

In my opinion I would keep them as the more filtration you have the better, more filtration you have = better water quality = better health for your fish!

I've got the same tank and have read mixed reviews on bio balls. Some say they are nitrate factories, others seem to have no issue with them. Years ago, I had a larger tank with the same basic system and my parameters were always fine. So far, I have experienced the same with my 75 about two months in. Until I experience something negative, I'm keeping mine as-is. I think your setup, especially with skimmer, should be okay.

TheTodd said:
I've got the same tank and have read mixed reviews on bio balls. Some say they are nitrate factories, others seem to have no issue with them. Years ago, I had a larger tank with the same basic system and my parameters were always fine. So far, I have experienced the same with my 75 about two months in. Until I experience something negative, I'm keeping mine as-is. I think your setup, especially with skimmer, should be okay.

Junk the bioballs.

You have live rock and plenty of it. Some more could not hurt but you have enough that you dont need bioballs.

Bioballs are a biological filter media. Live rock does this for you and WAY better. Bioballs also trap organics and allow them to break down. These become essentially nitrate factories and will always contribute to nitrate production.

Removing the bioballs 25% at a time weekly will ensure no fluctuations occur.

I took all my filter media and bioballs out. I got a massive protein skimmer and liverock in my Sump trates are zero

Take the bioballs out and replace with LR rubble. That will be extra bio filtration.

They caused a lot of problems in my tank I got rid of them added cheato alge and my tank is way cleaner and no problems with trates of phosphates it's nice did wonders for my tank

J33ps said:
They caused a lot of problems in my tank I got rid of them added cheato alge and my tank is way cleaner and no problems with trates of phosphates it's nice did wonders for my tank

Cool man. Sometimes the little changes can make a big difference.

Schism said:
Cool man. Sometimes the little changes can make a big difference.

Thanks man ya I'm glad I got rid off those things tank has never been better its like a hole new tank again

Back
Top Bottom