Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can I get some bioball advice, please?

are bioballs beneficial in a SW set up, or not? I've been reading mixed reports. I have them in the sump where the overflow drains into it, and also in my overflow box. Is this a waste of time/space, or are they beneficial in those areas.

p.s. i have the display tank's drain line ending with a drilled pvc pipe into the sump, which drips over the bioballs. about 85% of the bioballs are submerged, if that helps.

Old 08-13-2003, 02:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
is this a reef setup or FO? If it is a fo i find them to help because there is more nitrates in a fo setup then in a reef. However in a reef what is much better IMO is a refugium. I think if it is possible i would turn your sump if it is a reef tank into a refugium

Old 08-13-2003, 02:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Reef with a few fish. well, my sump has a refugium, as well. And, when I move everything from my 55, the 55 gall is going to be a giant refugium. So, my total watter volume will be 120 +55 +(about) 25 (sump)=200 gal. But, are the bioballs in the overflow box, and the first sump chamber just a waste of time?

sump is about 50% refugium, 30% bioballs, in their own chambers, of course.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
Yea i think it is but do you have a skimmer in that first chamber?
Old 08-13-2003, 04:32 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

if you have a FOWLR and will be using a fuge, the bio-balls are both unnecessary and may contribute to the NO3 levels in your tank. fish can tolerate higher NO3 levels but inverts cannot. If you plan on putting any inverts (corals, crabs, especialy anenomes) i would remove the bio-balls and let the DSB's do the job of handling the nitrogen process.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
How do bioballs increase nitrates? I've never heard of them being detrimental in any way.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

They make a place for the bacteria that turns ites to ates, so all ites quickly become ates and then that is the end of the cycle so ates will build up.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com