Can I get some bioball advice, please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidafius

Aquarium Advice Freak
are bioballs beneficial in a SW set up, or not? I've been reading mixed reports. I have them in the sump where the overflow drains into it, and also in my overflow box. Is this a waste of time/space, or are they beneficial in those areas.

p.s. i have the display tank's drain line ending with a drilled pvc pipe into the sump, which drips over the bioballs. about 85% of the bioballs are submerged, if that helps.

is this a reef setup or FO? If it is a fo i find them to help because there is more nitrates in a fo setup then in a reef. However in a reef what is much better IMO is a refugium. I think if it is possible i would turn your sump if it is a reef tank into a refugium :)

Reef with a few fish. well, my sump has a refugium, as well. And, when I move everything from my 55, the 55 gall is going to be a giant refugium. So, my total watter volume will be 120 +55 +(about) 25 (sump)=200 gal. But, are the bioballs in the overflow box, and the first sump chamber just a waste of time?

sump is about 50% refugium, 30% bioballs, in their own chambers, of course.

if you have a FOWLR and will be using a fuge, the bio-balls are both unnecessary and may contribute to the NO3 levels in your tank. fish can tolerate higher NO3 levels but inverts cannot. If you plan on putting any inverts (corals, crabs, especialy anenomes) i would remove the bio-balls and let the DSB's do the job of handling the nitrogen process.

They make a place for the bacteria that turns ites to ates, so all ites quickly become ates and then that is the end of the cycle so ates will build up.

Back
Top Bottom