Can I put a mantis shrimp with a huma, yellowstripe maroon clown and two yellowtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay179

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I put a mantis shrimp with a maroon clown fish, huma, and two yellowtip damsels in a 75 gallon tank.

Technically, yes. Should you? no.

Mantis can get pretty huge, and will eventually eat everything. All it takes is one of your fish/invert/hand, no matter how big, to get to close and its all over. They are crazy fast, and they only need to hit em once and its lights out.

Know I do not have any invertebrates because of the huma

There was a baby mantis at the pet store in a aquarium with a undulated trigger. That would be a interesting combination to have in a tank together. The mantis was hiding under a decoration.

Mantis' are usually better in a species only tank. they'll eat whatever they can get their claws on: inverts, fish, etc. nothing is safe.

A large enough mantis shrimp can shatter glass.. or break open your thumb. That's why they call them "thumb-splitters".

Ahh ic.. and they do this without touching you? What about pistol shrimp? (they have the same mechanism right?)

No they touch you, they have a battering ram like fist which they flick out and smash you with. There are two types of mantis shrimp, the smashers and the stabbers, the stabbers are much worse. Check out some youtube videos.

Jimbo is right. The mantis shrimp, given a large enough species, could potentially inflict damage to you. The pistol shrimp however, probably don't come in a large enough size to do anything. Besides, the pistol shrimps specialized claw only shoots out a jet of water when it snaps.. usually killing or stunning smaller prey.

Mantis hit/cut/smash. They touch. The pistol shoots a jet stream blast of water to knock it's prey out

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom