can i put glass bottles in my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarrett

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have these mini vodka bottles that would look really cool in the aquarium if i boiled them and let them sit in really hot water for a long time to kill off any harmful stuff would this be ok in the tank? or could it cause problems for the water in the long run

So long as there is not any glue or anything like that left from labels and what not... if it is just clean glass, it will be fine.

Vodka is used for dosing to bring down Nitrates and P03 , so as long as you wash them out I see no problems. I have seen DT's with full size wine bottles and it looked really nice.

right now i am soaking them in hot water and i am going to remove the sticker if i put it in the dishwasher to get the excess glue off then wait a couple days and boil the glass a little bit more to get rid of anything else you think ill be ok? or should i avoid the dishwasher because of the soap and crap

right now i am soaking them in hot water and i am going to remove the sticker if i put it in the dishwasher to get the excess glue off then wait a couple days and boil the glass a little bit more to get rid of anything else you think ill be ok? or should i avoid the dishwasher because of the soap and crap
No need to go that far. Just a hand wash will do.

But be aware that some glass has metal in them including (COPPER & LEAD) to make them more stronger....most of the time they use LEAD, but always check cause if it's saltwater you don't want copper in there.

Also If you are worried about leaching of metals into the water just soak them in saltwater and test in a couple of weeks. Take the water sample to your LFS if you don't have the test for copper and such.

+1
Also If you are worried about leaching of metals into the water just soak them in saltwater and test in a couple of weeks. Take the water sample to your LFS if you don't have the test for copper and such.

Back
Top Bottom