Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2003, 08:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can I setup a 30 gal long without live rock?

Looking for opinions on setting up a 30L with only using a couple of lbs. of LR. It will house a Maroon clown, Mandarin goby, Coral beauty some crabs and snails.

I will have a sand bed, 2 PH's, a power filter and a protein skimmer. Is this a managable setup?

Old 03-30-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can always do without LR, but it is a good thing to have. Will the sand bed be live?

Can you get some dead rock.

I think it would be fine, but LR is always a good thing.

Old 03-30-2003, 08:53 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You would probably be best off with some form of external filtration on a setup like that as the main purpose of the LR is to act as a bio filter.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, the sand will be live.

What kind of external filtration would you recommend?
I do not have room for a sump.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:24 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I have a 29 with very little live rock with a DSB that works. The sand bed critters will process a lot of waste. The sand bed will house sufficient quantities of nitrifying bacteria to get the job done. It may take a little longer to cycle (that's been my experience). I've kept a porcupine puffer (a very messy fish) in the 29 for over a year now. It still has the same amount of LR as seen in this pic http://home.attbi.com/~anemoneman2/pork_tank1.jpg
You will need an efficient protein skimmer. I recently added a refugium to this tank to lower nutrients (bit of a cyano outbreak) and have gone through a major hair algae outbreak. It may be little more work to keep algae in control IME but it can be done. I think it would be possible to have a tank with no LR and only a DSB.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:31 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
That mandarin goby will want rocks, full of copepods that never run out....wont live without it.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:38 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Will need to be a mature sandbed for the Goby too. Possibly would be a good application for a fuge like Mark said. That would help keep the pod population up. I don't know if there is a minimum size tank in which the sandbed would keep a mandarin fed though...the fuge should offset the tank size if you chose to use one.
Logan J
Old 03-30-2003, 10:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

A fuge will most likely be needed to encourage pod life, for the Mandarin.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think I will be skipping on the goby, since I know I won't have a sufficient DSB for a while.

I definitely do not have room for a refugium. There is just no room for a seperate tank.

How do I get copepods in my tank. I have a 55 thats been up for 5 months with a DSB and 50lbs of LR. I don't believe I have any in this tank. Does anyone have a Pic. Is there a setup that will work to produce copepods without using a refugium.

I intend for my tank to look like Anemoneman's 29.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2003, 10:01 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Are you seeing worm trails and bubbles against the glass in the dand bed of the 55? If not you need to get a detrivore kit ASAP. If you do have worm trails and can see worm tentacles on the surface, then use a couple cups of this sand to seed the bed of your new tank. These are the critters that stir the bed and process waste. Look at the surface of your existing DSB with a strong magnifying glass (about 7X) and you may be able to see some bugs. Look where algae is growing or where a rock is next to the glass. They don't like being in the open but you may still find them there.

Tags
live, live rock, long, rock, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com