CAn i still use these rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beano1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to convert a frehwater chiclid tank into a nano FOWLR tank. THere are some really nice rocks in it, that allready look like base rock. If i washed them in really hot water, could i put them in the SW tank?

It's hard to tell what kind of trace minerals are in the rock. I would maybe boil, get a copper test kits and see what you get. If you could get a pic or know what type of rock it is, that would be helpful.

i soaked my old fw rocks in a 10% bleach 90% water solution for a few hours, then i flushed them with fw for an hour and soaked them for the rest of the day. then i flushed them again the next morning, and dried them for another day. they are doing great, in fact they have picked up more coraline than most of the others. JUST DONT OVER DO IT WITH THE BLEACH. a little goes a long way.

that looked a little confusing to me... i only used bleach for the first few hour soak. from there out it was all fresh.

if they were afaricans id say no because most rocks buffer ph lower, to low for a sw tank i believe the rocks are lava rocks? if im not mistaken. and if there was copper on the rocks you would have had adverse affects with your fw fish over a period of time. any bacteria would die off once added to sw and bleaching wouldnt remove any buffering agents from the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom