Can i use this shell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khij159753

Aquarium Advice Addict
My dad ha a shell he bought at one of the shops from the Oregon coast... I think it's fake. Can I use it? Stick it in my aquarium for one of my giant hermits to use?

Any reason why not? I'm thinking about soaking it in white vinegar for a day an if its not chipping or something ill rinse it really good and put it in. I just don't know where I can get a shell big enough for this hermit to grow into

There's so many possibilities of bad things happening, there's potential for silicates, chemical interactions and also the ability of a hermit to be comfortable in a synthetic shell of unknown origin.... I'm a tank nazi though

Oh- you can always go to the beach, I believe most pet stores that carry hermits carry shells, I know that they can be ordered easily online for cheap too.

Hmmm.... I just don't don't know if they'll be big enough. Right now he's in a medium sized spider conch shell...

Are you sure it's fake? Is it plastic or something? I would decide if its fake or not for sure. If its not, just boil it for 5 min, let it cool and toss it in.

I'm not sure. The only thing I'm going on to tell me it's fake is how it is a little lighter. It's not plastic I know that.

This is a dumb question. I have 6 hermits. Do I need to buy them bigger shells every now and than?

A lot of places will sell empty shells in various sizes and they are usually really inexpensive (7 cents at reefcleaners for example) Hermits should always have larger shells as options to move in to.

Okay. These hermits are huge that's why I'm having problems finding shells :p they're very big hermits haha

Back
Top Bottom