Can live rock kill fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rushopkins

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just this morning everything in my tank had passed except turbo snails and cleaner shrimp. Water parameters are spot on and I have no clue what is going on. The only thing I can think of is maybe something with the live rock. It has been in the tank for months and cured before I placed it in. ???

If the rock had been in there for a while, then that is not the problem.

What size tank? How did you cycle the tank? What fish did you have? How long had they been in there? Did they all die at once? Did they show any signs of disease (rapid breathing, flashing, spots, etc )? What exactly are your parameters?

Live rock on its own? Generally not.
Live rock working with gravity? Certainly.

I would say that aside from major parameter swings this happening is usually caused by velvet. It's a nasty little parasite that has a habit of wiping out tanks. Take a look at some pictures and descriptions to see if it matches your tank.

If the rock had been in there for a while, then that is not the problem. What size tank? How did you cycle the tank? What fish did you have? How long had they been in there? Did they all die at once? Did they show any signs of disease (rapid breathing, flashing, spots, etc )? What exactly are your parameters?
75 gallon
I cycled by adding a cube of brine shrimp and dr Tim's one and only bacteria every five days until ammonia and nitrite were 0. Added the cured live rock in week 2. Haven't saw any ammonia or nitrite since week 4. Diatoms came and went through week 5. The tank has been up for 5 months now.

Two clownfish
Four blue green chromis
Three bangai cardinals
Flame angel

The angel was hanging out in the top back corner the day before and didn't eat but all the others seemed fine. The clowns I've had for months. Angel maybe two months. Cardinals and chromis a month.

The cardinals died first, then the next day all others. I stay on top of the water by checking twice a week and every time I see something acting funny but I don't know what else to check for except the normal parameters.
PH 8.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm
Salinity 1.023
Temp 78

Back
Top Bottom