Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can live rock live on Flourescent alone?

I have a weird tank. It's a 45 gallon, but it is a corner tank. It is much more vertical, than horizontal (quite tall) and it's a REALLY old-school tank given to me.

Ok, so...I put in some live rock, and then a week later, 5 yellow-tailed damsels, and 6 red-legged hermit crabs.

When I purchased the live rock, the guy said that my flourescent light should do just fine with the live rock. Now I'm reading a lot more and I think that I don't belive him

What should I do? Do I have to get more (better) lighting?

Thanks for the help!

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, I just realized that I'm in big trouble with my current lighting. I have one flourescent 15 watt 18" light, and two other 15 watt bulbs (that are the vitolights-that used to be for my turtle).

Am I in big trouble?

Old 08-20-2003, 01:24 AM   #3
cj10488

From my limited knowledge in saltwater I would say at the very least you should get a coralife 50/50 bulb.. You can find them at www.petsmart.com for around $18.00 US I dont think that i would try and use anything less than that. But thats just my honest opinion.. Other advice given might be the same or better.

James
Old 08-20-2003, 01:26 AM   #4
steve-s

First off, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com...

I wouldn't say your in big trouble, but it will not be easy to keep the coralline happy with 1watt/gal. It also really depends on how high the tank really is.

The light you have now would do fine to help keep coralline alive but not much more than that, so it's not a huge concern as yet. It really depends on what you want this tank to be .FOWLR or reef. If a reef tank, then do not upgrade the lights with just the rock in mind. You first need to decide what if any corals you wish to keep before lighting should be purchased as that will moreso determine your tanks needs than the rock. The coralline can always easily be re-seeded later.

I would also suggest slowing down on the addition. LR and then 5 fish so quickly with tax the natural and artificial filtration. Additions should be made serveral weeks to a month apart. I would suggest posting some more detail about your tank and the set up as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardsurfer
I have one flourescent 15 watt 18" light, and two other 15 watt bulbs (that are the vitolights
Sorry other than assuming vitolights are NO fluor's, I have no clue what they are.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-20-2003, 01:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for help

Thanks for the reply. My tank is 24" high and I want FOWLR. What I'm gonna try and do is to find a smartlight that puts out strong light for the LR, then give back 3 of my 5 yellowtail damsels back to the LFS and then maybe just get some more crustaceans.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com